Does anyone live in italy and play guitar?

voneville

• Members

Just in case someone that lives there or has lived there see this I want to ask a few things. I know american brands are more expensive over there. Does it make sense to buy a nice american guitar and amps here and bring them with me? What are some nice italian guitars in the price 300 euro price range?

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Just in case someone that lives there or has lived there see this I want to ask a few things. I know american brands are more expensive over there. Does it make sense to buy a nice american guitar and amps here and bring them with me? What are some nice italian guitars in the price 300 euro price range?

Hi, you will find Sardinia a bit isolated, being an island, although big, still an island.

There's no "mass" guitar producion in Italy.. what you can get is high quality custom made instruments at "reasonable" prices.. but that's in the 1500-2000$ ballpark... things like Jacaranda, Frudua, Manne.. but nothing in the 300$ area.

It makes sense to bring a guitar from the USA.. not an Amp because it won't work and you'll need new transformer. British amps in Italy should be around same price as in the USA... shopping around here will be tricky tho.. no GC, but there is a nice online shop based in Sardinia IIRC.

• Members

It seems to me (take this for central europe/germany, but should be valid for italy too), that the best price on Fender/Gibson type guitars you can get is about 150% of the MF's
price. But that is probably the best you can get, so 200% i'd consider normal.
Take your guitar with you.

• Members

Cool, thanks for the tips and the heads up on the amp. I guess I'll bring my guitar (I saw another thread about a guy going to japan and someone recomended disasembly, that will probably be the way to go) and while I'm over there I'll be looking for some oddball stuff. I'll be doing a lot of traveling as part of my job so I'll probably be able to do some shopping in Russia, England, and Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived