General question about pickups?

Excelsior

• Members

So, how should the pickup go in, in terms of the slant on it.

I've noticed my GFS Crusader has a slant. One side of the pickup's holder is thikcer than the other. So it creates a sloped edge that I don't neccessarily know how to put. I put it in the way it is now because of the fact that the cables were all near the control box cavity. However, the pickup's casing is smaller towards the neck, and thicker towards the bridge.

The PAF Pro I bought also has a drastic slant. One side of it is 1/4 of an inch, the other side is 3/16ths. I was going to install it so that the corner of the pickup that had the cords protruding was facing the control cavity, but it looks odd, again.

Anyhow, On the PAF PRO I had to remove its original casing and put it in my INF 4's casing, because the holders were WAY too high... as in, touching the strings high.

• Members

Are you measuring the slant from the bottom of the strings, or from the pickguard?

If you're measuring from the pickguard to the top of the pups, this slant is because fo the thickness of the low E, as opposed to the high E.

If you are measuring from the bottom of the strings to the top of the pups, you should be able to adjust the pup height to get your preferred sound.

• Members

Originally posted by LeftyTom

Are you measuring the slant from the bottom of the strings, or from the pickguard?

If you're measuring from the pickguard to the top of the pups, this slant is because fo the thickness of the low E, as opposed to the high E.

If you are measuring from the bottom of the strings to the top of the pups, you should be able to adjust the pup height to get your preferred sound.

Dude, I'm not even talking about the strings.

I'm talking about the PICKUP itself.

pu132-dimar-pafpro.jpg

See that white "mounting" material? For example, the top two holes have more material than the bottom two holes, making it fit in a "slanted" manner. The pickup iutself sits at an angle. I just need to know which way the slant is supposed to go...

• Members

pickup mounting rings, dude

orient the mounting rings so that the top of the ring is parallel to the strings. For LPs IIRC: thinner of the two is neck, thicker is bridge, thinner side of the individual ring goes up and to the bass (4-6) strings.

Archived