learning the fretboard??

mr.fat_chops

• Members

Originally posted by Stiner

I don't like those books, they teach patterns, and patterns are what an experienced guitarist tries get get away from. No disrespect intended, but those books teach too many finger excersizes and NO brain exersizes. The goal is to intellegently be able to get to any note, in any position, at any time, and understand what you are doing. Ear and brain, not finger patterns, this is the way I try and approach the guitar, but whatever makes good music works for me.

well...respectfully.... i guess we wont see eye to eye on that. I fully endorse that series of books. (not officially). I recommend them without a single pang of guilt.

Before you can make brain music...... you have to know where the notes are on the keyboard or fretboard.

Mozart had to learn his scales before he could make brainy music with them. He had to learn the layout of scales and arpeggios on his piano (the patterns). There is no way around that.

I went from composing very simple music to composing music that utilizes more scales than just the major scale thanks to those books. The best books EVER written on guitar (and Ted Greene's books rock too for chord information).

FAct is............the fretboard is made up of patterns. When did learning those patterns become a sin?

When you move a major bar chord up 2 frets.... you have moved a PATTERN of notes up 2 frets. You had to learn those patterns first didnt you?

I'm sure you play pentatonic scales right? (who doesnt). YOu had to learn the pattern of that scale first didnt you?? SAme goes with...... the Hungarian Minor scale. etc.

Where the brainy part comes in.... is in how you USE what you learn from the guitar grimiore.

Thats where the "brainy" comes in.

But... whatever works for you... works.

I don't knock the methods of others if it produces results.

• Members

Originally posted by berean532000

If you're like me, I could care less what note is what and what it's name is. I'm not trying to be Mozart here I just want to sound good and sound good consistently. If you're a beginner, the quickest and easiest way to sound like a pro is to learn where the B's/C's and E's/F's are. If you do that you can figure everywhere else on the fretboard is going to be a whole space. You'll find yourself improvising and sounding like you know exactly what you're doing. Concentrate on training you're ear. It's more important by far than knowing where all the notes are. IMHO.

^^^RETARDED^^^

What if someone asked you to jam with them on a certin progression in a certin key? You would be screwed. I'm so sick of all these "guitar players" that sit there and regurgitate the same patterns over and over, with little or no improv, and no idea of what they are actually doing. Do you really just wan't to "sound like you know exactly what you're doing" or do you wan't to really know what you are doing?

Ok, sorry rant off.

Learning the fretboard and understanding theory are the most important things you can do to improve your guitar playing.

• Members
Originally posted by oggy

^^^RETARDED^^^
What if someone asked you to jam with them on a certin progression in a certin key? You would be screwed. I'm so sick of all these "guitar players" that sit there and regurgitate the same patterns over and over, with little or no improv, and no idea of what they are actually doing. Do you really just wan't to "sound like you know exactly what you're doing" or do you wan't to really know what you are doing?

Hmmm. Good question. Personally I want to sound good. You go learn all the theory you want to while I'm having fun jamming and improvising and learning scales by ear.

Learning different kinds of scales is ok, but what for? I challege you to jam along with some of your favorite guitarists like Zakk Wylde, Slash, etc.. and I guarantee you that if you know all the 1/2 steps in the A-Aeolian(Minor) and the A-Dorian you'll be able to come very close to being able to play along right with them without even reading the sheet music. Newbies want to play songs not scales. If you're a self taught guitar player like me you'll find my way quick to learn and fun. Which is what everyone plays for, right??? By the way when Reb Beech first started playing with Winger he only knew 2 scales. Hmmm. Like I said you go learn your scales and I'll play and be having fun.

• Members

Learning different kinds of scales is ok, but what for?

It depends on what level you want to take your music to.

Some of us aren't happy playing with along with zack. He's a great rocker....but... there is a higher level of musicianship. Some of us want to achieve that higher level.

Thats not arrogance. Thats not high headedness. Thats not uppity holier than thou. Thats just ambition.

You see....sure.. i love metal and rock....but... I want to one day be able to compose orchestral music too. You aren't doing that with just a pentatonic scale and you arent doing that "by ear" either. Only decades of study can make that happen. Study what? scales, chords and theory.

And there is MORE to scales than just scales..................there are the chords contained in those scales that are fascinating and open a compositional door to something mysterious and magical not present in the major scale.

• Members

To me, flash cards helped.
A different card for the first 11 frets. Draw a fret with all six strings and label it vertically until you do all 11 frets.
Then, a minimum of 10 minutes each day start learning fret 1 notes. Then when you memorize it, ADD card for fret 2. Once you memorize fret 1 and 2 ADD card for fret 3.
You do this until you have them all.
If you do this 10 minutes each day you can memorize all the notes in 2 weeks!

Another method using flash cards are:
Seven cards for each note (A to G).
Draw the fretboard up to the 11th fret on each card.
For each note, label the card with note location across the fretboard.
To challenge yourself, add the treble and bass clef and label the note on the staffs.
Again, study for 10 mins each day, and you'll be set in 2 wks.

One more:
One flash card.
Draw the fretboard to the 11th fret.
Label the entire fretboard, completely.
Study all the notes.
Again, for 10 mins for 2 wks.

Use whichever method is best for you.
Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Gaf-Yag-A-Ton

It depends on what level you want to take your music to.

Some of us aren't happy playing with along with zack. He's a great rocker....but... there is a higher level of musicianship. Some of us want to achieve that higher level.

Thats not arrogance. Thats not high headedness. Thats not uppity holier than thou. Thats just ambition.

You see....sure.. i love metal and rock....but... I want to one day be able to compose orchestral music too. You aren't doing that with just a pentatonic scale and you arent doing that "by ear" either. Only decades of study can make that happen. Study what? scales, chords and theory.

Are you trying to help me or the person who started the thread. I'm offering a few quick startup pointers that has helped me just as the threader asked for in his question. He didn't ask for theories and bookwork. If you want to be Mozart go to Berkley or START A NEW THREAD. Most guitarists who are famous aren't really that good until after they become famous and decide it's time to learn music theory. There's a huge difference between book knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge. You have to be able to hear the music in your head before your fingers play it and all the bookwork and musical theories in this world isn't going to help you much there. The most talented guitarists have trained ears, period. Theirs no mystery to the fretboard. It's just repeated patterns. Please don't be so naive to think that by learning some guitar theory you'll magically become a creative songwriter.

• Members

Are you trying to help me or the person who started the thread. I'm offering a few quick startup pointers that has helped me just as the threader asked for in his question. He didn't ask for theories and bookwork. If you want to be Mozart go to Berkley or START A NEW THREAD. Most guitarists who are famous aren't really that good until after they become famous and decide it's time to learn music theory. There's a huge difference between book knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge. You have to be able to hear the music in your head before your fingers play it and all the bookwork and musical theories in this world isn't going to help you much there. The most talented guitarists have trained ears, period. Theirs no mystery to the fretboard. It's just repeated patterns. Please don't be so naive to think that by learning some guitar theory you'll magically become a creative songwriter.

There are different types of famous guitarists. There are those that just wing it with their little pentatonic scale (the van halens of the world)...... and those that KNOW THEIR STUFF like Holdsworth, DiMeola, Pat Methany... etc.

I've already learned the pentatonic scale.

I've moved on to others. Some people view this "moving on" .... as a bad thing. "just use your head". I can use my head. I do it all the time.....but.... what if i want to create a riff based on the neapolitan minor scale and harmonize it with the proper keyboard background?? You aint doing that by ear...UNTIL you learn the scale.

I find that people who knock scales.... dont know what they REALLY are. They think scales are just single notes going up and down.

No. they are much more than that.............. Each scale contains its own unique set of chords that can be used to harmonize melodies.

Cmajor scale contains chords like Dminor7, Eminor7, G7 etc. (western music standard).

An "A" Minor Neapolitan scale contains other chords like .... Aminor, C7+, E7+, Dminor7, FminorMaj7.

Playing neapolitan scale melodies over those chords can sound cool to an experimental guitarist.

Now you try that. What? you can't? see? "by ear" has its limits. You gotta know the scale first.....THEN you can use your ear.

• Members

If you want to be Mozart go to Berkley or START A NEW THREAD.

No?
:p
Look at the title of the thread.
"Learning the fretboard"...... so I started thinking about.....the merits of "learning the fretboard".....truly learning it. TRULY LEARNING IT.

• Members

Scales, modes, patterns are not solos. But at the same time, learning as many of those patterns as you can free you up to play more of whatever you want and to know where you are as opposed to poking around in the dark, knowing a small bit of territory around your fingers (something I spent years doing).

It's like writing. Grammar and the dictionary just aren't like reading a good story, but the better command you have of that stuff, the better you can write. The story comes from your imagination, the tools become invisible with a skilled writer. The same with playing. The better your grasp, the more those things disappear.

Yeah, a lot of great players don't know the theory behind stuff, may have a great ear and technique, but they got there over a long period of time in a musical world that really doesn't exist anymore.

The original poster seems to be looking for a way to get closer to that without having to wait the 20 or so years of those :idea: moments of discovery.

Brett

• 7 months later...
  • Members

There is a really cool new fretboard trainer for the PC and Windows Mobile devices called Guitar Fretboard Addict. It has graphical and flash card game modes for learning the fretboard. It is very cheap $10 and you get both Windows and mobile versions when you purchase through their website. Check out http://www.guitaraddict.net

Archived