Allman Brothers: Warren Hayes & Derek Trucks- SLIDE GUITAR

metalmania13

• Members

I saw the Allman Brothers last night at Jones Beach on Long Island, and the show was phenomenal. I have seen Warren Haynes before (at a Mountain show) so i was familiar with his playing style. But lemme tell ya... Derek Trucks blew me the {censored} away!!

This guy was incredible. He plays with his fingers like Knopfler and was flying all over. He did blues, jazz improv and incredible slide.

Now, I am trying to learn how to play slide, and after seeing that show I am going to try to model Truck's playing style, perhaps as a rough guide. I have read many website's detailing the basics of slide guitar and most of them instruct an open tuning, such as E or the ever-popular G. The thing is, Trucks and Haynes (I'm fairly certain) were playing their slide solo's in standard tuning, since they never switched guitars and continued normally after removing the slide. (If anyone can confirm that they play in standard, it would help me settle my confusion.)

I heard it is harder to learn slide by playing in standard tuning, and Duane often tuned to an open tuning. My questions are:

1) Can anybody confirm that it is Derek Truck's style playing in slide in standard tuning?

2) Can anyone give me any freakin' clue how to being to learn to play in standard?

I have been noddling around with the slide in standard, and I can imagine it is easier in an open tuning, as every note you hit that you are barring across with inevitably sound correct, so are there any tricks to playing solo's in standard? Do I just slide up and down, following the penatonic patterns.

I apologize if this thred makes no {censored}in' sense. As I reach the conclusion of this, my longest post, I realize that in my absolute awe of Derek Truck's playing, I have posted a series of questions and comment which are both confusion and unorganized. But hey, that's what happens when an albino gives you a stiffy with a piece of wood and some strings.

• Members

Derek Trucks plays in major tuning.

Usually Open E tunning.

Maybe sometimes in Open G.

He is in this tuning even when he isn't sliding. I suppose he got used to the scales in this formate.

I saw his band live a couple of months ago, got our tickets signed and my friend's sg signed by him.

He has a unique style, to say the least.

The way I started learning slide (though I won't claim that I can teach anyone) is just by attempting very simple riffs in open tunning. You have to get used to the positions on the strings before your can improvise. In slide, even a slight distance can mean a note is out of tune and it jarbles the whole melody.

Good luck.

• Members

Wow, Open E huh?

I am very inexperianced with open tunings, since I have played Standard tuning all three years of my "career", but that must be extremely hard to transpose all of the Allman Brother songs into Open E, right?

I don't really know what I am talking about here, but it sounds pretty tough to me...

BTW... if I wanted to tune a strat to open e, does that mean I would prob have to get heavier strings that D'addario 10's?

• Members

I can't really instruct you on slide guitar, as I'm learning myself. But I can confirm that Songlines was done in open E.

As for the show, congratulations! Just about two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to see The Allman Brothers Band along with Derek Trucks Band.

If I had to rate the show out of 10, I would give it a 12.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by blind radish

He makes me want to take my slide and shove it ....

he is THE KILLER slide player of the decade.

He's just the killer player, not even so much slide.

He's just an amazing player.

• Members

RE: standard tuning slide - You were watching the wrong slide player! Derek Trucks plays exclusively in Open E (E-B-E-G#-B-e), but Haynes plays slide in standard tuning. Notice that the two high strings are the same as standard, so licks on those transfer perfectly. I have set up a second guitar in Open-E (Open D actually, because it's an easier key for me to sing in).

• Members

Warren Haynes plays in Std because he doesn't want to sound like everyone else.

I have tuned my guitars to both Open D and Open E w/o changing strings - usually Ernie Ball Super Slinkys.

Open E does use the same tuning for the two high strings so licks transpose easily there. It's the G to G# that messes you up. You should probably decide if you are going to retune and use one only, or....use standard. I actually do both, but have played slide for a long time on-and-off.

Either way, don't try to play your usual licks or it won't sound like slide. Use more neighbor tones (1/2 step up or down) and also major and minor triads (or arpeggios). I heard that Duane was trying to sound like a harmonica - some people say to sound like vocals.

Work on your vibrato and intonation, of course. When I was learning, I played melodies I was familar with just to practice the sound and intonation.

• Members

Well Derek Trucks has been playing that way since he was 8 or something and jamming with the Allmans and Buddy guy at like age 10 or 12. I saw him a few months ago he is very impressive but there is no way you can become so fluent and melodic as he is very quickly. His slide playing is amazing.

Now if you were close you would be amazed also but his taking the slide on and off, I was in the 2nd row and he would have the slide on one minute but not the next then back on and I never saw him reach in a pocket or anything.

Also Warren Haynes another great guitarist. I like how they set up this tour though Derek trucks band opening this half then Govt Mule Opening the second half of the tour, gets both Warren and Derek to play 2 whole shows a night on some nights which is a treat from both.

Archived