Help:Tricks for getting discount

expertune

• Members

It should never be hard to get at least 10% just buy asking.

Its easier to work a deal the more you are potentially spending at a store.

Be reasonable with your request. don't ask if they will take 300 on something tagged at 600.

Be firm and don't waver. "um,, like...do you think....uh, that maybe....if you're cool with it...that....like you could swing...a little lower price?

After they say thats their best price, respectfully ask to speak to a manager to double check.

Always be ready to walk if the deal isn't what you are looking for.

• Members

definitely be firm. when i bought my Martin, i simply asked what they could do for me on the price. the first reply was "this is the guaranteed lowest price in the nation!" i was like, that's great but what can you do for me. then he was like, well, i can give it to you for sticker price out the door (so including tax). at that point i just blatantly told him i wouldn't pay over $450 for the guitar (marked at $499.99, so 10% off), and he said he could do that.

long story short, i should have (and now do) tell them the most i'm willing to pay for the item (which is never more than 10% off since that's what i've regularly been able to get since) right up front. if they don't like it i'll go elsewhere.

by the way, i've never had any trouble getting 10% off at guitar center, if that's where you'll be shopping. if you don't like the sales person you're working with, just tell him you'll think about it and he'll go away (and most likely someone else will come by who you can make the deal with).

• Members

I usually just say "What's the best price you can give me on this?"

Then they punch some #s in a calculator and quote something that's about 30% off the list price.

If I feel that's not low enough, I'll say "Well, that's still a little bit out of my range" and I walk. Sometimes they come back with a lower #, sometimes they don't.

The presence of Musicians Friend catalogs in nearly every musician's home has really helped to get a better price on some items, and hurt on others. The shop owners usually have MF catalogs and know that if they don't match the price, you'll just order it from them. It works out well for stuff that MF has a good price on. Not so well for the stuff where MF prices are too high though.

• Members

Start by knowing what other dealers are asking for the same piece of gear.

Print out any lower prices you can find or email responses from other stores.

If the local dealer says "That's from a dealer out of state, so I cannot meet or beat that price" walk and tell them you will just buy it from the out-of-state dealer. If your local dealer doesn't speak up to stop you, then you can buy it from the out-of-state dealer and know that you got a good deal.

If your local dealer is willing to compete, don't let them "unbundle" the case from the guitar and sell the case to you separately and close too or at list price. This is how they make up some of that difference in price.

If you pay sales tax, and the out-of-state price has a shipping charge, find out if the shipping is cheaper then the in-state sales tax.

If you are buying a high-end guitar, call the big dealers around the country as they will give you the best price and service. These are the private dealers, not the chain store guys.

The sales catalogs from MF have actually given some dealers the ability to charge more for an item then they used to before the catalogs came into being. Catalog prices are usually not great at all except on items they want to unload.

Archived