Possibly getting $1200 to spend on a new guitar. Carvin Custom Shop? Strat? SG?

Excelsior

• Members

Well.

I'm nearly done with the "Get a free gibson SG" deal. All in all, I'm ending up with a $1200 Gibson SG From MF, hopefully. But I don't neccessarily /want/ an SG :p I haven't fallen in love with the SG look itself, so I'm unsure if I'll want to keep it. I will, however, have $1200 of credit from MusiciansFriend.com, so I can order something from there. I was thinking about ordering a scratch and dent SG, selling it on ebay for near what I paid for it, and just using that money towards a guitar outside of MF's website.

Anyone got recommendations? I'm REALLY considering going with Carvin's Custom Shop. They seem to have some AMAZING ass things going on. Example:

http://www.carvin.com/features/guitars/

I like the acoustic-electric system on that, and the phase switch, HOWEVER I kind of want a floyd rose. I'm not sure if I'll fall in love with FRs, but I haven't owned one, and playing them seems fun enough. I just want the experience of owning one.

Currently I have my Ibanez RG321 as the guitar I use most, an SX Stratocaster that I have scalloped and is awaiting a nut replacement, some Epiphone STrat that I'm selling soon enough [sitting in my garage], and a cheaper acoustic-electric is on the way [Alvarez RD20SC].

If I went through Carvin, I'd want a finish that looked something like this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1309800

Just because the damn thing is gorgeous. I like carvin because it seems they offer a lot of ncie things, like neck through guitars, as well as optional custom shop items like SS frets.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC127

The body style on that seems DECENT. Maybe a bit too round for me. I don't want anything obscenely pointy :p

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitars.php?CID=GTR

A list of all the custom shop guitars.

And if I do go custom shop, what should I trick it out with? On my list of "must haves" is: a nice finish, Stainless Steel frets, decent pickups. Also, a FR bridge would be sweet.

Anyone got any pics of any carvin custom shop finishes they'd suggest?

Oh, on my musical tastes... I play pretty much anything except country/folk sounding music. "Classic" rock, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Savatage ["progressive" metal], etc. I get most of the tones I want out of my Peavey Valveking 112 :) I'm no shredder, but I like the comfortable Wizard II neck on my RG. Also, I set up my guitars for as low of an action as I can get without buzzing. I like to be able to fret easily, since I'm able to play noticbly faster that way.

So yeah. I have no clue what I want yet :D

The purchase would be about a month out, but I need to start thinking about it now. I'd love a Carvin Custom shop if they do a good job and if they have a nice Blue or red/orange finish on some quilted/flamed wood. I just want something that's a good playing guitar, and a good looking guitar. My RG321 plays like a dream. It looks like an ass :freak:. At least with the abuse I put it through, the finish is wearing down, and it's getting fairly beaten up.

So yeah, anyone got any suggestions? :p

• Members

I'd definitely go with a Carvin. Resale isn't too good on them (I picked mine up used for $450 at GC) since they're custom guitars but they're awesome nonetheless. I have a Floyd on mine and I love it. They're great quality guitars, nice neck through construction, abolone inlays, sperzel locking tuners, etc. You can also choose fret size, body wood, paint, etc which is great too. The only thing that I've heard complaints on is Carvin's pickups are less than great, you can always swap them out though. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

Why dont you just wait until the SG comes and see if you like it?

I will, but of the SG's I've played none have really appealed to me. Hence, I want to check out my other options. If it screams "KEEP ME," sure I'll stick with the SG, but I'd like suggestions otherwise too.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Do you have a good amp?

Good question- amp's at least as important as the guitar. I think the Carvin Cal. Carved Tops would be a great choice. I haven't played one but I've heard them. I have a Carvin and it's one of the finest playing guitars I've ever played. I think the Carved Tops are the nicest guitars that Carvin has produced yet and the prices are pretty reasonable...:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Do you have a good amp?

Originally posted by machine gunner

Good question- amp's at least as important as the guitar. I think the Carvin Cal. Carved Tops would be a great choice. I haven't played one but I've heard them. I have a Carvin and it's one of the finest playing guitars I've ever played. I think the Carved Tops are the nicest guitars that Carvin has produced yet and the prices are pretty reasonable...
:thu:

Well, read my post. I have a Tube Peavey Valveking 112. It's not the best amplifier in the world, but I LOVE it and it's a GREAT tube amplifier. Quality is on par with the classic 30s I've heard.

I'm thinking carvin may be a good idea, because everyone says they're good players. I'm not overly concerened with resale value, I'd rather have a guitar that plays well :)

• Members
Originally posted by peavey_impact

If I had the money lying around my first choice would definitely be Carvin. Because if you get the guitar and its not what you want you can just send it back. Worth a shot.

Ya', not a lot of companies that will build you a custom guitar taht you can return if you don't like it...:thu:

Archived