Is it bad to store a guitar w/o strings?

Thenabi

• Members

I just broke a few strings, am at a different house than normal (no backup strings), and needed to clean the fretboard (two years ago...).....

Is it bad if I let it sit without strings for a week and a half? It'll be the first time she's been bare since she left the factory probably 5 years ago. Have a floating tremolo too (Godin SDxt).

Yeah I'm googling now too but it's hard to find specific questions like that sometimes.....

THANKS!

• Members

Originally posted by Thenabi

I just broke a few strings, am at a different house than normal (no backup strings), and needed to clean the fretboard (two years ago...).....

Is it bad if I let it sit without strings for a week and a half? It'll be the first time she's been bare since she left the factory probably 5 years ago. Have a floating tremolo too (Godin SDxt).

Yeah I'm googling now too but it's hard to find specific questions like that sometimes.....

THANKS!

If you store a guitar for an extended period of time (like a few years), you're supposed to reduce the string tension significantly, even to the point where there's no string tension at all. So I would say no, it wouldn't hurt your guitar at all. Actually, if you store your guitar with full string tension, and the case it's in takes a nasty fall, the string tension can still snap the guitar's neck, even if it's in the case. Storing it with string tension is what you want to worry about, it'll be fine. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Archdemon

If you store a guitar for an extended period of time (like a few years), you're supposed to reduce the string tension significantly, even to the point where there's
no
string tension at all. So I would say no, it wouldn't hurt your guitar at all. Actually, if you store your guitar with full string tension, and the case it's in takes a nasty fall, the string tension can still snap the guitar's neck, even if it's in the case. Storing it
with
string tension is what you want to worry about, it'll be fine.
:D

if you store your guitar for long periods of time you should STILL keep it at full standard tension

that loosening tension thing is a MYTH

guitars are BUILT to be strung at full tension

All those vintage guitars that have been played for 30-40 years are still playing great and obviously going up in value and they have been at full tension and PLAYED for all those years

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

if you store your guitar for long periods of time you should STILL keep it at full standard tension

that loosening tension thing is a MYTH

guitars are BUILT to be strung at full tension

All those vintage guitars that have been played for 30-40 years are still playing great and obviously going up in value and they have been at full tension and PLAYED for all those years

I've always heard things the other way around, but I'll take your advice, because I'm not a vintage guy. :D

• Members

My personal opinion is that it isn't really going to matter.

Wood is going to warp or twist regardless of whether or not you have string tension on it.

If you leave it for an extended period of time, the neck may shift a bit, but in my experience, after a few days at full tension, it'll settle back into place. At that point, if it needs a setup, then it'll probably hold pretty well.

• Members

Originally posted by SentimentalMood

I agree with Hondro. The truss rod is in the neck to counter the force of the strings. With no strings, the truss rod is pushing the neck by itself.

In your case; the guitar should be fine for a week or so.

Absolutely

I used to believe the no tension horse{censored} until I got my Gibsons.

I tuned one down to store it for about 6 months and when I retuned it took a good 2 days for the neck to straighten.

At first I though it was totally screwed.

I might reduce tension to store one but I won't drop it completely again.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

My personal opinion is that it isn't really going to matter.

Wood is going to warp or twist regardless of whether or not you have string tension on it.

If you leave it for an extended period of time, the neck may shift a bit, but in my experience, after a few days at full tension, it'll settle back into place. At that point, if it needs a setup, then it'll probably hold pretty well.

That's what I was kinda thinking, too. I sorta regurgitated some (false) info I heard before, but I was thinking it probably wouldn't really make much of a difference. I think people (including myself) tend to think guitars are a lot more fragile than they really are.

• Members

THANKS!

no, it won't hurt it. If you're going to leave it for a long time you might want to loosen the truss rod.

you also want to be extra sure to keep the guitar in a humidity/temperature controlled environment.

• Members

Is it bad if I let it sit without strings for a week and a half?

THANKS!

I don't think so. I've left my guitars with the strings completely slacked for 6 moths or longer with no problems. I sometimes think it may even be good for a guitar to do this every once in a while.

Archived