Older (early 90s) Peavey Classic 30

animl

• Members

I recently looked at a C30 for sale locally. The owner said it was an older amp - early 90s.

After I looked at it, it occurred to me that it didn't have the bold Blue Marvel graphic on the speaker magnet.

Did they use Blue Marvel speakers in the early 90s, or some other? If not what did they use? Jensen? Celestion? The owner claims it is the original. Am I being BS'd?

• Members

IIRC it's the Blue Marvel from before they actually came up with a label and logo for it. My old Classic 50 was like that. That's the correct speaker for that year C30. Eminence makes the Blue Marvel, it's not a bad speaker (though I'd like to try a different one in mine).

TP

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

How did it sound to you?

iirc, my classic 50 didn't have lables on the speakers either.

it sounded sweet. I just wanted to be sure I know what I am payng for

• Members

I think the Blue Marvel labelled speakers only came out in the last 4 or 5 years. I don't know if the earlier models were the same speakers just missing the label or not. I've heard that they are Sheffields, but I don't know for sure. Whatever they are, they sound alright. However, upgrading the speaker will make a world of difference in the sound of the amp. I put a Celestion G12H30 in my Classic 30 and the change made it very evident that the original speaker lacked punch and clarity.

Neither my Classic 50 212 or Classic 30 had Blue Marvel labelled speakers. Both sounded good stock, but really openned up with a speaker upgrade.

• Members

Originally posted by jdjonsson

I just got a reply to the question of the unlabelled speakers on the Peavey forum, from their Cust. Service guy. He says the unlabelled ones were Blue Marvels.

This place is the best - when your buds go and do volunteer work for you without asking. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by MONGOOZ

i thought the early C-50's came with Peavey Scorpion speakers.....so i would guess the C-30 would too.....but i'm not an expert on this....i will say, i have several Scorpion speakers and like them quite a lot.

The speakers that came in mine definitely aren't Scorpions. I've had a couple of amps with Scorpions, and these definitely aren't Scorpions.

The Scorpion has the alluminum frame and a 'field replaceable basket' which means you can remove 3 bolts and remove the magnet from the voice coil and cone. The speakers in both my Classic 50 and Classic 30 were a one piece black frame with non-removeable magnet.

• Members

Originally posted by brianwahl

I've got an older C30 as well. Not sure the date, though.

The speaker in mine is labeled "Sheffield" - sounds good to me.

It's possible it's a replacement.

the message I got on the Peavey forum went something like this: "If it's stock, it's the same speaker we use now."

- indicates that they've always used the Blue Marvel in the C30.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

The speakers that came in mine definitely aren't Scorpions. I've had a couple of amps with Scorpions, and these definitely aren't Scorpions.

The Scorpion has the alluminum frame and a 'field replaceable basket' which means you can remove 3 bolts and remove the magnet from the voice coil and cone. The speakers in both my Classic 50 and Classic 30 were a one piece black frame with non-removeable magnet.

OK....i haven't seen inside the back of one for years.....yea, my scorpions are alum frame....3 bolt mags....i have one regular scorpion and one scorpion plus.....the mag is a little bigger and it's rated 85 wrms

Archived