My Floyd Rose...

Tosis Maguill

• Members

It's on my Washbun Dime 3. It sits way too high. I haven't used this guitar in about two years now. I really don't know how to fix the problem but from the 24th fret [or 21st, I can't remember how many that thing has] it sits about an entire inch off of the fretboard, but down near the nut, it's regular. The Floyd Rose tremelo system is sitting WAY too high. Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

Thank you.

-Tosis Maguill-

• Members

Then I'd have to guess you have the Floyd set ridiculously high, and you need to lower it. Otherwise, I dunno what your problem could be, and you definitely cant shim the neck or anything. If you had it looked at, why didnt you have it fixed?

• Members

If I had pictures, I'd show you... That thing just floats way to high. And there is no way to lower it. The only way I can do that is drill the pegs [that the bridge grips] down about 3/4 inch.. Who knows though.. I'll have to toy with it for quite a long time.

• Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

Yes, the pivot posts are totally bottomed out.. Maybe just drill those down a little?

I wouldn't be drilling anything just yet. Are the posts screwed into bushing inserts or just directly into the wood?

• Members

Sometimes the metal inserts have an inner screw that stops them from going down all the way. These are used to lock the studs in place. You shoul take them out and see if the inner screws are there.

The spring tension could also be too loose and if the bridge is pulled forward, then the action will be too high. You adjust this with a screwdriver by tightening the two screws that hold the claw.

The neck should be almost straigth with a little bit of bow to it. Just a little bit. If not, it needs a truss rod adjustment.

Good luck.

• Members

The metal inserts should be flush or even slightly countersunk in the body. If they are sticking out 1/4", that's your problem. Has the guitar always been this way or is it a new problem? I'd second the notion that the inserts are pulling out. To fix that, take the bridge and studs off, then get a piece of wood and lay it on top of the inserts and GENTLY tap them down with a hammer. If they do it again, pull them all the way out, dab a little epoxy on them and tap them back into place.

But again, it's hard to tell without pictures, but those inserts definitely shouldn't be sticking up.

Archived