1 spot power adapter VS DC Brick

Lucas S.

• Members

Is anyone familiar with the 1 spot power adapter? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-1-SPOT-Combo-Pack?sku=151694

Is there a reason to buy something like the Dunlop DC Brick when the 1 spot is so much less? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-DCBrick-MultiPower-Supply?sku=151091

I'm wanting to get a pedal board set up and just want to make it as east as possible? Thanks for any advice.

Lucas S.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucas S.

Is anyone familiar with the 1 spot power adapter?

Is there a reason to buy something like the Dunlop DC Brick when the 1 spot is so much less?

I'm wanting to get a pedal board set up and just want to make it as east as possible? Thanks for any advice.

Lucas S.

Unless you have an 18v pedal or two, the 1-spot (or its cousins the Godlyke Powerall and Diago Powerstation) are by far the better option. Heck, even if you own an 18v pedal you could buy two battery snap converters and run it off the 1-spot.

I used to have a brick but now I have a daisy chain and I'll never go back. Much cheaper than a brick, much less pedalboard real estate eaten up, much more freedom of pedal placement, and it can power far more pedals. Frankly I don't understand how or why the bricks are still around.

• Members

Originally posted by Paladin2019

Unless you have an 18v pedal or two, the 1-spot (or its cousins the Godlyke Powerall and Diago Powerstation) are by far the better option. Heck, even if you own an 18v pedal you could buy two battery snap converters and run it off the 1-spot.

I used to have a brick but now I have a daisy chain and I'll never go back. Much cheaper than a brick, much less pedalboard real estate eaten up, much more freedom of pedal placement, and it can power far more pedals. Frankly I don't understand how or why the bricks are still around.

I've used both the 1spot and the dc power brick.........

the power brick runs with less hum and noise IMHO. It's subtle for sure but there is a difference to my ears.

• Members

Originally posted by Andre XXX

the power brick runs with less hum and noise IMHO. It's subtle for sure but there is a difference to my ears.

I have heard that before though, I have not noticed any noise/hum from my Godlyke (course, my power isn't noisy in general). Edit: and so far, none of the other places I have used it in were "dirty" either.

• Members

The brick conditions the power. My signal chain was noticibly quieter with it.

The godlyke looks pretty cool, but I'll keep my brick. Its rock solid, pretty small (size of an mxr) and can power all that I've got and more.

• Members

The One Spot is a nice option. I was so happy with mine and the fact that they are so inexpensive I bought another on the off chance something did happen to it or it got cut or something. That's been a couple of years back, outside of pulling the second one out to confirm it worked when i first got it, I have never had the need for a backup, it's still in the cardboard and plastic container it came in.

• Members

Oh and as far as the pedalboards go... you CANNOT go wrong with a real flight case and either having the pedals on the bottom, or having a removable board.

I'm having a board made for me by Pumaboards and they do some amazing work.

ie

20.jpg

These are cool...

http://www.stompin-ground.com/

Island cases on Ebay look really nice, and I may order one to put my board in. They aren't expensive either, any size 89$.

These look very nice also, I've heard good things about them

http://www.tmcases.com/

There always www.nycpedalboards.com too

• Members

Mistersuperfly,

I hope your happy, now I'm probably going to end up spending twice as much as I intended.:D I hadn't even thought of places like this I'm glad I asked about it now. I'm thinking about a Pumaboard and a case from stompin ground.

How long did they estimate it would be to get your pumaboard done? Did you get any of the extras?

k4df4l thanks for your suggestion as well, cool stuff but a little out of my league.

Lucas S.

• Members

Originally posted by Andre XXX

Yeah, we've gone over this one. Some people are lucky and their pedals don't care if you're using the one spot, unlucky people, like myself have hum and noise issues. I think it was certain OD or Fuzz pedals that cause most of the noise? Try the One Spot out, if you get noise, go with the brick.

• Members

Mistersuperfly,

I hope your happy, now I'm probably going to end up spending twice as much as I intended.
:D
I hadn't even thought of places like this I'm glad I asked about it now. I'm thinking about a Pumaboard and a case from stompin ground.

How long did they estimate it would be to get your pumaboard done? Did you get any of the extras?

k4df4l thanks for your suggestion as well, cool stuff but a little out of my league.

Lucas S.

Hahahaha... you are quite welcome! Those are my sentiments to everyone on this board!

I'm getting the 28 x 15 with tolex to match my amp (red marshall, with white SS stripes)... with the velcro top, white piping, chrome handles and corners. It will also have the AC jack in the side, so that I can have a power splitter under the board to plug my DC brick into, and also some snake lights that will light up the board.

My girlfriend wanted me to have something that I actually wanted... seeing as how my birthday was a week ago, I think she done good! One of the better presents I've had in a while.

He said the wait is usually 3-4 weeks. Here's my amp that it is going to match.

ampside.jpg

• Members

mistersuperfly,

Is the ac jack so I can plug a power brick for example in to the jack under the board, and the plug into the wall from the outside. I just want to make sure I have it all figured right. I guess the Nuetrik jack is the same principle, just keeps some cords tucked away.

Awesome looking amp by the way!

Lucas S.:thu:

• Members

mistersuperfly,

Is the ac jack so I can plug a power brick for example in to the jack under the board, and the plug into the wall from the outside. I just want to make sure I have it all figured right. I guess the Nuetrik jack is the same principle, just keeps some cords tucked away.

Awesome looking amp by the way!

Lucas S.
:thu:

If you get the male jack, it makes it so that you can take any normal extension cord... plug it into the wall, and then plug the female end into the board. On the inside of the board there will be a normal female wall-type plug, it's like bring the wall to your board. Makes for a very clean set up.

That way you can install and plug in a normal power splitter into the plug on the inside of your board... and have a whole bunch of plugs on the inside of your board. You can then plug in the brick to that splitter, and whatever else you want... like lights, a led clock, some power supply for a random pedal the brick won't work with (which there aren't that many of).

Even if the only thing you plug in is the brick, and you don't even use a power splitter... you will still have a cleaner set up, and you won't have to risk the little wall wart that the DC brick has failing from repeated wrapping up (that's how my 1spot failed). Normal extension cords are much more robust than a tiny wall wart.

Sorry to hurt your wallet! But you will be happy with yourself in the end... It's never a bad idea to get the best you can if you can afford it.

Archived