Installing Pickup Covers?

SHRED

• Members

I "Googled" around a bit and didn't have much luck finding out how to install pickup covers on my Les Paul Custom.

Anyone have a link?

I bought the covers thinking they would have a mounting tab or something but they are smooth edged and I don't have a clue how they go on.

Thanks for any help.

• Members

Interestingly enough, I just installed pickup covers on my guitar (mid 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul Custom) yesterday for the first time. It was pretty easy. Just take the strings off, pull the pickup out, slip the cover on and place a small dot of solder on the top and bottom edge where the pickup presses against the cover. I was told that it has to be soldered for grounding and to keep it on there. However, I did an experiment with the other pickup and just slipped the cover on and put it back in without soldering, and it seems to be working fine like that. If the pickups have any squeal or are microphonic, they may need to be wax potted. I've heard that mostly happens when playing at very high volume, which I don't do anymore, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Also, I've been told that neck and bridge pickups have different pole spacings, so you need to be sure that you have the right cover and that the holes and the pole pieces match up exactly. You may need to raise the pole pieces a bit to project out through the holes.
That's my experience in a nutshell. I'm not an expert or a repair tech, so whatever I've said may not be totally accurate, but just thought I'd share what I know.

Archived