1960 LP Burst under 5 figures PICS

underblu

• Members

Expanding on a thread I had seen on the LP forums there seems to be quite a few folks extolling the virtues of old wood.

Let me offer this:

The interest groups:

THE SELF PROCLAIMED VINTAGE BURST EXPERT:

Like the celebrity analyst at the height of the internet bubble these vintage guitar "experts" have an interest in perpetuating the vintage is better myth as it makes them relevant and important particularly amongst the wheel heeled tone seekers looking for that one guitar that can give even the most ham fisted wanker the tone of Rossington, Allman or Page.

THE COLLECTOR:

Like those late 90s daytraders that filled the Yahoo message boards with DOTCOM hype, the collector particularly the recent collector needs to justify their expenditure of ridiculously large sums of money on an old guitar that looks sounds and appears almost identical to a new guitar that costs much much less. Therefore these are some of the most vocal proponents of the vintage is better myth. Key words to watch for here are mojo, brazillian, hondouran, old-growth, (No most are not botanists)

You can see how this happy relationship between the EXPERT and the COLLECTOR works.

The SUPER RICH GUY:

Just another toy he (or she) can possess that the average working stiff cannot.

THE SYCHOPHANT

Many are the collector wannabes. They praise the wisdom of the EXPERT and ooh and aah the latest aquisition of the COLLECTOR They wan't to be acknowledged by the COLLECTOR and EXPERT and let the rest of the neophytes know that they are hip to the buzzwords mojo and old-growth.

THE REST OF US

After recently playing a couple of vintage 50s PAF LPs and some historics I' do believe the "old-wood" thing does exisit but it can be found in new guitars just as it is surely lacking in some old ones. Best of all it can be had by all GUITAR LOVING FOLK.

I've found my old-wood for $2300 at GC of all places, a 7.9 lb R0 that weeps and growls as if it were alive. This, despite Gibsons poor QC {one of the volume nobs slid off when I held the guitar upside down and an uneven fret causes the high E string to fret out over the last for frets nearest the body)

Here are a few pics. And untill the the EXPERTS and COLLECTORS can take an assortment of vintage bursts, and an assortment of nicely aged Historics -fitted with a collection of different PAFS WCRs,BBs,57s, Lollars, Fralins etc., and blind folded tell me which is old-wood and which is not, any argument to the contrary is folly.

All those searching good luck finding your "old-wood" believe me it's out there.

oldwood.jpg

oldwood2.jpg

oldwood5b.jpg

oldwood5.jpg

oldwood6.jpg

oldwood11.jpg

oldwood8.jpg

• Members

you know, based on the subject title, I thought you were trying to pass that off as a real 1960, and I was ready to blow a whistle! :D

not a bad lookin piece of wood you have there
no offense, but no way in green hell I woulda paid that asking price if it had fret issues

• Members

Under 8 lbs and $500 less than what GC usually gets for them is a great deal- shame about the fret, but I suppose that's easy enugh to fix. Funny all of the GCR0s I have played have been exceptional players, but usually aren't as pretty or light as that (although I would put reflector knobs on it)

• Members

not a bad looking piece of wood you have there
no offense, but no way in green hell I woulda paid that asking price if it had fret issues

Thanks, normally I would've taken it back and been like how is it that even Korean PRS models seem to have better QC than many LP Historics I've picked up. Don't know if its the high humidity here n the Northeast but almost every historic even the CS Strats I played were buzzing a bit. Maybe Poly does help the wood remain more impervious to the climate as opposed to nitro.

With regard to the fret issue, since this is new purchase $2699 less GC 20% cupon, Gibson should make good on their warranty and fix it. I just hope I don't have to send it out to Tennessee.

Oh and thanks for not blowing the whistle as you can tell I'm not trying to fool anyone just make a point. Some of the stuff that passes for gospel on the LP forum is just too bogus not to call out. Special guitars can be found at a variety of price points, new used they're out there as are some lemons too. Even special LPs can be had without paying through the nose for "vintage"

• 5 weeks later...

Archived