Customizing a Korean Squier

SixWings

• Members

So, I've had this urge lately to customize a strat...

It all started when I bought a 94 Jap. Fender from a buddy of mine for 100 bucks. I absolutely love that guitar. It's got the V neck, in a sunburst (looks kinda like tobacco), with a hardtail.

I played it for almost 2 years as my main guitar, and it's finally started to show some aging. The bridge and saddles started to oxidate, and the tuners are slowly goin to crap. The pots are gettin a little scratchy, too.

So then, I decided to do probably the dumbest thing I've ever done... I got a guitar center credit card. So I bought some good tuners and a hot rails, and decided i'd start to get some work done on my baby. I took it to the only local luthier I knew of, and he advised me to leave the guitar stock. He said that, with how the 80 japs look on the market, it might come into some value in a few years...

So now I'm kinda out of a main guitar. I've been borrowing a friends Agile LP (which I sold to him a year ago), but I need my own guitar... and I have a little over a hundred dollars in strat hardware sitting around.

A friend of mine offered me his old guitar, which just sits in his closet. It's a Squier II Strat from Korea. I'm not sure what year. It's pretty wore out. It's got a lot of scratches and dints in the finish, and the pots and pickups blow. The neck and action are very nice, though:) It also has a pretty good looking bridge. It's not a hard-tail, like my baby, but the back part of the trem assembly (I don't know much about them) is new, he got some new parts a couple of years ago.

Well... whaddya think? Does it sound like it's worth the time... or the cash? Just lookin for some feedback.

Are allparts pickups any good? Never really heard one way or the other.

EDIT: And what kinda pots would that kinda setup require? I don't know much about them... they're like 250 and 500? right?

• Members

While I agree that keepin it stock is wise. I don't see it as a great sin to install a new pickguard with controls and pups to your liking along with hardware so long as all are direct drop-ins. Then you keep all the original parts and return it to stock if you ever intend to sell it.

It sounds to me like you'd never sell it anyway, so you should make it playable.:thu:

• Members

yeah. I do love my Jap. I probably won't be getting rid of it any time soon, I just don't want to maul it. This is my first time modding a guitar, and I don't want to mess up one that could potentially be worth a good deal of money.

What's your take on the squier?

Archived