Pricing structure for producing vs. recording/engineering

• Members

So I recently found myself in the right place at the right time and landed a pretty sweet recording engineer gig at a new studio. It's really just been straight forward engineering and mixing. These people know the music, I come in and record and mix it. No production or anything like that.

I currently find myself with an opportunity to do some actual producing. I was wondering how you producer/engineers charge your clients. The way I've been doing things is charging an hourly rate for recording. They buy eight hours, they record eight hours. After the sessions, I take as much time as I feel like I need (within the allotted time that the client agrees to) to get a good mix.

Like I said, this is how I've approached just recording. I don't really know what to charge to produce. Do you do an additional hourly fee? Do you schedule pre-production time with you, and what's a fair amount to charge for that? Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Members

I produce + engineer on a flat per project fee (technically, an advance)along with a few points. I have some clauses in my contract for crazy situations so that I don't wind up putting in a bazillion hours if things get out of hand.

If I'm producing, I'll go ahead and mix the record as well. If I didn't produce, then I mix on a per project fee (again, with some safeguards if things get out of hand).

As for what to charge for producing, there is no standard whatsoever. First records I produced I got zero advance. Now I get some decent money. Your leverage is what determines what you can charge. Talent + track record = good money. No talent + no track record = little to no money.

• Members

As for what to charge for producing, there is no standard whatsoever. First records I produced I got zero advance. Now I get some decent money. Your leverage is what determines what you can charge. Talent + track record = good money. No talent + no track record = little to no money.

So it's not all about who you know? And not all people skills?

:lol:

Archived