breaking strings

Lloyd Rummell

• Members

I own 2 Jagmasters and frequently tune them down a half step, these guitars are shorter scale and are strung with 10 gauge strings. When I tune down the strings feel pretty loose. I was wondering if string breakage would occur less on a full scale guitar tuned down as opposed to My shorter scale guitars.

Would stringing with 11's help?

• Members

Where are they breaking? Are they breaking at the saddle? Then you may have a burr in your saddles. Are they breaking at the nut? Perhaps the nut is incorrectly filed. I would check both those areas first. If they are breaking somewhere inbetween, how long are they lasting? Do you wipe down your strings after playing? You may have come across a brand of strings that for some reason don't work well with your sweat. For instance I can't use Blue Steel, because with my sweat they gunk up in about 30 minutes, and will break in a couple days. I would suggest trying other brands of 10's before making the jump to 11's. That being said heavier strings are much more suited to detuning. They might give you more meat, and will certainly give you fatter tone. But if you are comfortable with the 10's. check out the areas mentioned and see if you can find the problem.

• Members

I wipe the strings down everytime I play and clean them with Fast Fret. They aren't breaking real often or anything, I was just wondering if there was a way to slow it down I guess, perhaps by going with the heavier gauge strings. I also was wondering if it would be less likely to happen on a full scale guitar tuned down because I'm buying another guitar soon and that information would help in My decision of what to get.:thu:

Archived