point me in the right direction!

zosoKing5

• Members

is there anyone in southern california who would be kind enough to help me wire in 4 new pots, a new jack, and a new selector switch? or at least guide me to a diy website. i want to get rid of all the crap electrics that came with this guitar this weekend, and im going to set it up with connector clips, so that i can switch pups in minutes. ill pay $30 to any one who knows what there doing, and ill even drive up to your place if your not too far away. help me out! thanks. i dont mind doing it myself, but ive effed up twice on my guitar

• Members

Its easy to just replace the existing pots. Either make a drawing or take a digital photo or both to use for reference. Or what I have done is remove and replace each wire one at a time. Just wire in the the new pots and switch the same way the original wiring was done. The quaility of caps isn't that important. I have used Radio Shack caps and resistors with out any problems. Usually the difference in the quality of caps and such has a lot to do with tolerences which really isn't that important in this application. How good are you at soldering? Workmanship is important. Bad solder joints will cause problems. If you haven't done a lot of soldering or don't know what I'm talking about maybe think about bring your guitar to a local shop and have a tech do it. It should only take someone about and hour two to remove and replace pots and switch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
:) thats good news. ive done plenty of soldering and ive got the scars to prove it haha, but the type of metal wire i use, will that make a difference? i want to have a list so i can just do the damn thing and be done with it....im tired of playing this borrowed peavey...:cry:

Archived