How do you rate Tony Iommi?

patrickgibson

• Members
Originally posted by Verne Andru

but Blackmore even states that he wanted to play in a band like Zepplin. They are good, but more Johnny-come-lately to the metal thing. Machine Head didn't really break them until around '72 and by then Sabbath was way beyond Parnoid.

It was Sabbath, Uriah Heap [totally under-rated], Pink Floyd, Quatermass and Wishbone Ash that were pioneering the really heavy stuff. Closest thing in amerika was Iron Butterfly [which inspired the Led Zepplin name] and Grand Funk Railroad.

...I don't buy the Blackmore -Zepplin quote...at least I've never seen it and there aint many RB quotes I haven't seen....
I'll give you all that DP was Hard Rock(not metal)...but back then that's what we called Sab too....(I'd still call them Hard Rock and not metal..when I think metal I think of some goofy teenager playing through a Boss Distortion pedal...Blackmore,Iommi...played with sheer power...I don't think you'll find a distortion pedal in either ones arsonal...Ritchie and Tony were using Hornby Skewes Treble boosters and just a whole lot of gain....) Priest....Maiden....Motorhead...They'd be in my metal book....

Funny thing is Blackmore, Page, Beck, Iommi...all good buds...they probably would be getting a good kick outta any of them being compared!:wave:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by machine gunner

Tony was conjuring up evil riffs while Blackmore was doing crap w/ an orchestra. I like Blackmore, but Tony came up w/ the first truly evil sounding riffs. As a previous poster mentioned, I wouldn't consider Deep Purple metal- they were a hard rock band...
:wave:

Blackmore was slicing up the speakers on his ol Vox AC30 to get distortion back in his days with the Outlaws in the middle 60's....He's got some real killer riffs from long before he was in DP...I'm sure Tony pulled a few to borrow as he saw fit...Blackmore borrowed from Clapton, Clapton Borrowed from Page...Page borrowed from Beck....and on and on and on....
First "evil" sounding riffs I recall were on Lord Sutch LP's long before sab or purple.....

Who's first..who cares. It all good:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Braverhund

...I don't buy the Blackmore -Zepplin quote...at least I've never seen it and there aint many RB quotes I haven't seen....

Check out the Machine Head DVD - if memory serves it was Lord talking about Blackmore - could be wrong but I did get it from one of the interviews on that disc.

All good stuff regardless. I was as big a fan of DP as of Sabbath.

Archived