Les Paul volume drop in mid position

pureanalog

• Members

My Les Paul drops the volume a bit when I have the mid pickup position selected. I took some Gibson 4 conductor pickups and had my repairman install them. But it's been quite a while since I took the guitar from him so now its a bit late to take it back.

I notice that when I turn down the volume knob (any of the two) the volume increase from 9-7. Then from about 7 to 0 the volume goes completely down as it should.

Did you understand what I mean? What could this behaviour of the pickups and the pots mean?

• Members

How did you tell whoever installed the new pickups to wire it?

If its wired to have both pickups using both coils in each pickup when in middle position, all you should need to do is swap the leads for one of the pickups.

If you have it wired to split the coils when in middle, you're going to lose some volume due to the pickups only using one coil. If you had push/pull pots installed to split the coils, and you're positive the pickups are set to use both coils, there could be other things wrong. If thats the case take it back and have them fix it.

• Members

Originally posted by pureanalog

yes, how did you know?

If the pickups are wired out-of-phase, when both volumes are full up you'll get almost total cancelation of the sound which results in the thin, hollow, nasal tone. As you start to roll one volume back, the other pickup starts to dominate and so the tone starts to fill out. Then when you continue to roll the volume back it's like a normal two pickup guitar two volume guitar at some point the overall volume will start to drop.

Archived