My guitar took a nasty fall.

inlifeisdeath

• Members

Upon returning home from work, I found my guitar lying face down on the ground.

Apparently, the bloody wall-hanger gave way.

My guitar is an Ibanez RG1570.

I found absolutely no dents or scratches.

However, the cable jack which was inserted into the guitar's jack was bent at a 45 degree angle.

The strings were slightly out of tune, and of one mounting screw on the neck pickup came loose.

What other things can I check? I'm feeling really paranoid now. And sad too. :freak: Have you guys had the same experience?

It really is a tremendous shocker for this guitar's relatively new and was a gift from my girl. I should never have trusted the lousy wall-hanger.

• Members

Yeah I hope so too. Just plug it in and everything worked well.

I guess it fell say, 4 feet? 4 feet from the base of the guitar to the floor.

I don't see any dents on the floor, neither on the guitar. It seems that everything is okay, I hope. But I suspect the input jack took quite a whacking, and I'm a little suspicous about the neck. :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by inlifeisdeath

...What other things can I check?...

You're gonna be pissed at me for saying, but here's 3 things what you can check:

1) Use the big plastic drywall anchors to hang your wall mount - the white ones that look kind of like big corkscrews with a hole down the center. Drive 'em in with phillips head, then you drive your screws into the center of them. I think they are rated for 30 or 50lbs, and you have to use 2 of them for guitar hangers - so that's 60-100 lbs of support right there.

I can't fault you for not knowing that, but...

2) Check that your guitar is not plugged in when you hang it up...I can not possibly understand the logic of hanging a guitar up with the cord hanging out - that's asking for trouble. I unplug EVERY connection (pedals, amp, speakers, guitar) anytime I leave the scene - any asshole can walk by and step on, bump into, or knock over equipment unintentionally, and who is screwed? you are.

3) open it up and check the damage - I do not know your particular model, but you may be able to bend it back in place, and/or find replacement parts fairly cheap.

I have thrashed some guitars in my day, and from the fall you describe, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about anythng else, if as you say it all seems in order...a well put together piece can take a fair amount of abuse -- you just need a minor part, and probably a little soldering.

• Members

Originally posted by jackamo

1) Use the big plastic drywall anchors to hang your wall mount - the white ones that look kind of like big corkscrews with a hole down the center. Drive 'em in with phillips head, then you drive your screws into the center of them. I think they are rated for 30 or 50lbs, and you have to use 2 of them for guitar hangers - so that's 60-100 lbs of support right there.

I can't fault you for not knowing that, but...

2) Check that your guitar is not plugged in when you hang it up...I can not possibly understand the logic of hanging a guitar up with the cord hanging out - that's asking for trouble. I unplug EVERY connection (pedals, amp, speakers, guitar) anytime I leave the scene - any asshole can walk by and step on, bump into, or knock over equipment unintentionally, and who is screwed? you are.

3) open it up and check the damage - I do not know your particular model, but you may be able to bend it back in place, and/or find replacement parts fairly cheap.

I have thrashed some guitars in my day, and from the fall you describe, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about anythng else, if as you say it all seems in order...a well put together piece can take a fair amount of abuse -- you just need a minor part, and probably a little soldering.

+10000

NEVER leave a guitar pluged in.

ALWAYS screw into a stud. :freak:

Archived