Ibanez Jem vs. Ibanez Universe

Sandman31774

• Members

I may get an Ibanez Jem 7vwh or a Universe Uv777bk. I have tried the Jem 7vwh at music stores and love it. I haven't had access to the Universe 7 string or any other 7 strings for that matter. I have average to small hands and was wondering if the Universe wider neck would be more difficult to play and get used to. I read somewhere that the Universe's strings are spaced slightly tighter than most 7 strings so as to make an easy transition from 6 to 7 string.......I like the looks of the Universe better but I do like the 6 string jem....let me know which guitar you guys like better out of the two and why

thanks,

sandman

• Members

A UV7 takes some getting used to, and it definitely helps to have fairly big hands as the neck is quite wide (but thin). It is a great guitar but not for everyone. I personally love the wide neck, especially how it feels when playing in the upper register, although with smaller hands it wouldn't be easy. People like Vai have long alien-like fingers and don't have any problems of course.

Now a JEMVHW is a guitar for everyone as far as playability is concerned. If you can't play something on a JEM easily, then you just can't play it. ;) If I could only have one, I'd get the JEM. In my case, I already have other 6 strings, so the UV is the only one I have since it covers the 7 string role nicely.

Archived