Line6 POD-like device question

mdog114

• Members

I've had a PodXT in a rack in my control room for the last few years and it just died. I mainly use it for scratch-tracks and for playing in the CR, while others are tracking in the main studio. It makes it easier to play a guide track for the drummer and bassist when laying down basics.

I usually replace whatever was done as a guide with a recorded amp, but I really like having the easy option to just plug and play. Since I'm usually the one doing the engineering, it also allows me to be in CR to work the board.

I would like to get something to replace it with, and I'm not up-to-date on these toys.

Can anyone make some suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by mdog114

I've had a PodXT in a rack in my control room for the last few years and it just died. I mainly use it for scratch-tracks and for playing in the CR, while others are tracking in the main studio. It makes it easier to play a guide track for the drummer and bassist when laying down basics.

I usually replace whatever was done as a guide with a recorded amp, but I really like having the easy option to just plug and play. Since I'm usually the one doing the engineering, it also allows me to be in CR to work the board.

I would like to get something to replace it with, and I'm not up-to-date on these toys.

Can anyone make some suggestions?

Does it have to be a rack unit (you mentioned something about that)?

If not, there are plenty of options. However, it comes down to what you want from the unit. What are your priorities: tone, ease of use, variety, etc.?

I've owned a POD, PODxt, Guitarport, and a Zoom G9. For computer recording, the easiest to use is obviously the Guitarport. If this is just solely for quick, simple scratch tracks that are used for recording ideas and not necessarily super high-quality tracks, I'd go with the GP for simplicity and ease of use. As for standalone modelers, I found the original POD to be the easiest to use. The PODxt is pretty simple and intuitive, but not quite as is with the original. But on the flipside, it has WAY more features, variety, and better tone.

However, if you're looking for the best possible tone, go with the G9. It sounds fantastic; and it should with 2 tubes in it. I bet just about any guitarist would be fooled into thinking the tone coming from it was coming from an all-tube amp. However, it's quite complicated and not terribly user friendly.

I'd also look into the Vox Valvetronix modelers. I've never played one, so I can't comment. They're supposed to have superb tone and *look* to be the easiest and most intuitive to use. However, that may also mean that they lack a bit on functionality. I'm not sure though.

Archived