MOG is the future, imo

Poker99

• Members

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/mar/05/mog-spotify-digital-music-pop

Let's, for arguments sake, say that it's not fixed and that they pay a flat fee per subscriber. I might listen to, say, 40 tracks a day (approximately 1,200 a month) on MOG, for £5 a month. Assuming that MOG takes £1 out of the monthly subscription, that leaves £4 to be divided per track. That works out at approximately 0.3p per stream (0.06p to share between the composers of the track, 0.24p to the label/artist). This means that a track has to be streamed 100,000 times for the composers to get £60 to split between them. If I listen to less, the stream will be worth more, and vice versa. Of course, judging from recent royalty statements, Spotify is no better when it comes to remunerating artists and composers. I can only imagine the logistical nightmare this will present when it comes to working out which artist to pay and how much (though, judging by my calculations, paying artists will not feature that heavily).

:facepalm:

:lol:

• Members

I saw this article, I hope their service works out for them. One thing you have to remember is that the realm of music publishing rights and royalties is one of the grayest and most nebulous areas in the industry. Once everything started going digital, a lot of {censored} changed and legal factions are still trying to figure out how to split up this humongous digital pie.

Archived