What should a complete assembly cost me?

lburger

• Members

Originally posted by go cat go

Sorry, i did not mean to take the thread over. Here's a link to All Parts necks at reasonable prices.

1. That Warmoth neck looks nice. I go back and forth about it. One minute I'm going to spend the big money, the next I'd like to save. I'll consider it strongly.

2. That is a BEAUTIFUL strat. Just calls out to be played! Congrats!

3. Thanks for the resource link. I'll look at them too.

All the help is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by lburger

I'm currently looking into purchasing parts to build a custom strat, but I have no experience putting them together.

What should I expect to pay to have the done? Are there things I should look to do myself that would save a lot of cash in the process? I've started looking into books that help with this, but I'm hesitant to put money into a nice body and neck, and then screw the thing up.

Thanks for the help,

LB

when folks ask me to do this type work.

I charge 125.00. that does include drilling any and all holes for bridges keys or anything else that may require precision drilling.

but that does not include fixing any crappy fretwork.

but I do guarntee that the guitar will play to the best of it's ability.

• Members

Suspicius Mail - I believe the $700 included a set of Frailin Vintage hots with the bridge brass plate and blender wiring.

That's a little more reasonable, but still... that's a big chunk of change on top of parts that already ain't cheap.

That guitar's hot as hell though. :thu:

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

I charge 125.00. that does include drilling any and all holes for bridges keys or anything else that may require precision drilling.

Now see, that's more in line with what I was thinking. As long as you can get the soldering knocked out at home and the easier stuff like installing hardware, it seems to me that just installing the neck, doing a basic setup and cutting a nut shouldn't be that much more than a full setup and new nut. I mean, it doesn't cost a lot to have a neck shimmed -- and really, what's the difference between the one and the other?

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

but I do guarntee that the guitar will play to the best of it's ability.

Damn it Bruce! Where were you $700 and 6 years ago!!!!!

• Moderators

I have also heard good things about the Guitar Mill,
http://guitarmill.com/.

Guitarmill are pretty good...the body on mine is from Guitarmill, the guys there are very flexible. I'm in England and Mario took shots of about 8-10 body blank and let me pick the one I wanted.
I used a Warmoth neck, Graphtech nut and a pre-wired pick assembly from Vinatge Vibe Guitars and afaic, ended up with a guitar well into Fender Custom Shop territory for about $800...and that includes shipping and the odd bit of duty.

Stratgoodness.jpg

It took about 20 mins tops, to stick it together.

• Members

Another option is Carvin. You can buy the parts or the kit to assemble a Strat (Bolt) guitar. If you talk to them, I understand that you can do some customization with the body and neck, as well as some of the hardware. I understand the pickups are pretty good, although they can be changed out later.

I understand that Carvin will be helpful in giving advice during assembly.

• Members

Damn it Bruce! Where were you $700 and 6 years ago!!!!!

:D Well, 6 Years ago I was still at Warrior and it would have cost you a great deal more.:rolleyes:

but now I'm older, wiser and ....

more broke than ever. :D
So I work cheap.

but things MAYBE are about to change.:thu:

and VC 2bills is a bit much to screw together a strat. don'tcha think.

• Members
Stratgoodness.jpg

OMG - Ratae that is freeking gorgeous!!! That's a beautiful, beautiful guitar. What do you think of the Vintage Vibe strat pups? I just got a set from Pete w/ the Fat-o-caster V3 switch. I have his Strat sized p-90's on a Classic 60's and couldn't be happier. I just gotta stop playing and put my next guit-fiddle together. Where did you get the tuning machines with the pearl buttons? They're very cool.

• Members

Ratae and go cat go.......you guys have two of the most beautiful strats i've seen in a while. Very nice!! :thu:

I am putting together a strat style copy that i got as a gift last year. The kit came from Grizzly Industrial. The ?owner of the company builds his own guitars and their catalog has a whole section on acoustic and electric guitar kits and parts.

This guy's company makes huge industrial sanders, etc. and some guitar companies use his products in their factories/shops.

you can check Grizzly out here:

www.grizzly.com

If you type guitar in their search box, it'll pull up the offerings for ya...or you can order a catalog.

Happy building and strumming:wave:

• Moderators

Stratgoodness.jpg

OMG - Ratae that is freeking gorgeous!!! That's a beautiful, beautiful guitar. What do you think of the Vintage Vibe strat pups? I just got a set from Pete w/ the Fat-o-caster V3 switch. I have his Strat sized p-90's on a Classic 60's and couldn't be happier. I just gotta stop playing and put my next guit-fiddle together. Where did you get the tuning machines with the pearl buttons? They're very cool.

Yes, this guitar also has the Fat-0-Caster with Strat sized P90s, and the tuners are Sperzels, with ivoroid buttons. Sperzel do just about any type of button you want.

• Members

I would urge you to at least try putting it together yourself.

It's really not a huge job, but a series of smal jobs.

It's a fun project and a good learning excercise. Also, with the internet at your disposal there are many people who can guide you through the process.

I honestly can't imagine paying someone to put together a bolt on for me.

Archived