Wear your damn safety glasses...

voneville

• Members

I feel like such a dumbass. I got lucky though, even though I'm in a lot of pain I didn't do any permanent damage or require a trip to the ER.

I was working on a new bottleneck slide and decided to sand down the base with my belt sander. So I clamped the belt sander into the vice on the work bench and started taking off the jagged edges on the slide. For some reason it didn't occur to me to put on my safety glasses. The sad thing is I know better. As a supervisor in a weld shop I am constantly reminding my guys at work to wear they're eye protection.

As I was smoothing out the glass I felt an extremely sharp pain in my eye lid. Luckily my reflexes kicked in and I somehow managed to shut my eyelid in time to have the tiny shard of glass only hit my lid and not stick in my eyeball. But I'll tell you, it's still very freaking painful. I was able to find the shard and remove it.

The good news is that my slide is perfect. It broke at a 30 degree angle so it sits perfectly on my finger.

But I just thought I would share my story in hopes that someone out there doing a DIY project or guitar mod will remember to wear there safety glasses.

• Members

Sorry to hear about your "almost" tragedy. If it would have gone into your eye it could have been much, much worse.

Wear them damn safety glasses!

I am constantly sticking soldering irons in my eye sockets all the time...you'd think I'd learn.

;)

• Members

This should be a "Well, no {censored}!" post, but sadly, too many people do without proper protective equipment when using tools.

Hell, not just when using power tools, when playing your guitar loud, sports, etc.

Glad to hear that there's no major damage, though I would still take a trip to the doctor. My father once had a piece of metal in his eye (an iron filing, very small), and didn't realize it till a week later. Luckily there was no permimant damage.

• Members

Originally posted by bubkus_jones

This should be a "Well, no {censored}!" post, but sadly, too many people do without proper protective equipment when using tools.

Hell, not just when using power tools, when playing your guitar loud, sports, etc.

Glad to hear that there's no major damage, though I would still take a trip to the doctor. My father once had a piece of metal in his eye (an iron filing, very small), and didn't realize it till a week later. Luckily there was no permimant damage.

Complicancy is a bitch, even if I can't spell it. I'll probably get it checked out tomorrow just to be safe.

Luckily iron starts to rust so you know it's there. If you get a piece of aluminum in your eye they have to use dye and an ultra-violet light. But that happened to me wearing safety glasses and a face shield. Problem was I was laying on my back and using a rotary file in windy conditions.

Archived