May have messed up my guitar

cloudsnstuff00

• Members

So i decided i would adjust the action on my guitar tonight. I took the little allen wrench and started raising the metal pieces(its a strat) and it was allright till i got to like the third string it started becoming difficult to turn and the allen wrench would get stuck in there and it be hard to get out. I ended up stripping the allen wrench.... or the screws(I hope not...I really do think its the allen wrench though it looks stripped) And in trying to fix it i actually uncrewed the the little screws all the way out of thier holes and then i tried to get them to go back in but they wont. So i was just wondering how much damage Ive just done to my guitar.....................

• Members
Originally posted by cloudsnstuff00

So i was just wondering how much damage Ive just done to my guitar.....................
:cry:

Not much, really. Even if you had to replace all the saddles you're looking at, what, 50 bucks tops? For nicer ones than you've got, probably...

If you look around you may be able to find a single replacement saddle at the local guitar shop or, better yet, replacement screws at the Home Depot.

So no, you haven't destroyed your axe. :)

• Members

No biggie. Most likely, you stripped the screw. Either way, the screw or the allen wrench is a cheap fix.

What did you do wrong? Sounds like you didn't loosen the string before you started raising the saddle. The tension increases very quickly as you start raising the saddles. You should always have some slack in the strings before raising; I even do it for lowering sometimes-- depends on the tension I feel on the screw.

Does that sound like how it happened?

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by cloudsnstuff00

What did i do wrong?

Well, your post is a little hard to make out and I wasn't there... but if I had to guess, it sounds to me like maybe you didn't loosen the string before trying to raise the saddle.

If you're going to raise the action, always loosen the string, set the saddle, and then retune the string.

Archived