Scale Questions

aloha

• Members

I learned on an Epiphone Les Paul (24.75) quite a few years ago. Since then, I've been using a steady progression of 25.5 scale guitars.

Lately, I've been developing my playing. I've been trying to go from a two fret per string approach to a three string approach. I've been having to stretch my somewhat small hands to be able to get to the frets I need.

I like my guitars and wonder if I'm just tripping, but I want to know if the tiny difference of a 25 scale or 24.75 scale guitar will make a big difference in going through this transition. Has anyone else gone through this same transition in their playing and found similar challenges? Can anyone suggest some ways I may deal with this?

I'm not GAS-ing; I just fighting through these challenges.

Aloha

• Members

I notice enough of a difference that I will always have guitars with shorter and longer scales. Some stretches that I attempt on strat like scales are barely approchable but once I pull out the LP it's like night and day. For me at least.

As for overcoming our short comings. Bone implants? :D

• Members

Yeah, Guaps...

I hear you. Bone implants would work. They probably cost quite a bit more than a short scale, though.

:freak:

I was just reading the other thread about string gauge and most were saying something about scale affecting their preference. I wonder if this would come into play in my case...

Aloha

• Members
Originally posted by El Guapo

I notice enough of a difference that I will always have guitars with shorter and longer scales. Some stretches that I attempt on strat like scales are barely approchable but once I pull out the LP it's like night and day. For me at least.

As for overcoming our short comings. Bone implants?
:D

+1

• Members
Originally posted by aloha

Yeah, Guaps...

I hear you. Bone implants would work. They probably cost quite a bit more than a short scale, though.

:freak:

I was just reading the other thread about string gauge and most were saying something about scale affecting their preference. I wonder if this would come into play in my case...

Aloha

I saw that thread as well. The differences here are that string tension comes into play. I don't think changing string sizes will help when it comes to playing passages that include big stretches. Is it worth a shot? I don't see why not. It won't cost ya much either.

One day though, when I have enough money I'm going to get bone implants! I might be 80 or so by that time and be playing nothing but blues. But damnit at least I'll have longer fingers!

Archived