New Jagmaster hum

valentsgrif

• Members

My kid had his heart set on a Squire jagmaster to replace his tele (too heavy). Bought this China made jag with 2 humbuckers. Guitar plays nice for the price, however, it has a slight hum that goes away when I touch the metal parts of the guitar. I know this is likely a ground problem, but is there a quick fix short of returning this thing (store only gives store credit)?

• Members

Thats a pretty common thing, definatley doesn't warrant a return if you like the guitar otherwise. Its the grounding, but seriously, don't worry about it...the single coil guys have to put up with that sound all of the time. I've rewired mine with new pickups several times and sometimes, this hum has disappeared, sometimes it stays- its hard to determine exactly what it is. With the ground, there are so many points of contact that its hard to determine.

Your kid will love the Jagmaster, its a great, fun little guitar.:thu:

• Members

48 hours later and I'm loving this chinese JaGMASTER. Had to let my kid play my usa strat while I worked out on his new squire. Short scale is easy on the arthritic fingers. But for the annoying hum, this guitar would be heaven. I've learned to put the trem arm under my wrist- the metal to skin contact suppresses the hum. Beginnning to like the p/u's. Strings gotta go though.
I'm open to suggestions for new strings for this 24" scale (9's) and perhaps a suggestion on troubleshooting the grounding hum. ??

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by valentsgrif

Thanks. I'm gonna try shielding first, then maybe new P/Us. Hey citizens-X, those look like new replaced humbuckers in your jag...what did you put in?

A Dimarzio PAF PRO in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, It sounds great:thu:

• Members

I have the same hum problem. I am thinking it is the amp for me. I noticed when my mom turns on the vaccuum cleaner, the hum gets louder, so I am thinking that something is interfering with the amp. I am too embarrased to say the model but it is a Fender.

Fender Frontman 15g

Archived