Yay! Finally new Pup!

unit11

• Members

I got a Dimarzio Breed Neck pup for Christmas and have finally installed it in my Kramer Focus-1000 (bridge position only). It replaced an SD Custom-Custom and the differences, while subtle, are very nice!

The CC pup had a thinner and flatter sound with an uneven response in frequencies - it never seemed to balance out my highs and lows even after adjusting the pole pieces to various reccomendations.

The Breed is fuller and has a rounded but even response! Warmer, certainly, but that was what I was shooting for. The cleans sounded much better than I was expecting! Since the CC had a little bit of boom on the bass end, I was worried about the cleans being crappy for the Breed, but it actually kicks the CC all over; no boom and I can hear all the strings!

Distorted tones, the CC is flatter, the Breed is rounder - it jumps up a little more. The Breed added a bit of growl, actually, but not the gritty/crunchy growl. I'm not sure how to describe it - its more 'in-your-face, jumping out of the mix,' but still smooth. The lead really cleaned up! My Kramer is now a nice sounding guitar for heavy rock or metal, where before it was a little too bright for my taste. The split-coil mode is also nice; I originally was going to forgo it, but decided I might as well use it - it isn't as bluesy as the coil-tapped CC, obviously, but it does get a little bit of extra brightness/clarity.

The Breed is sweet. My Kramer is now a nice guitar.

Archived