Saw Coldplay last night....

Joe Cole

• Members

Good show. Way to short. 1 1/2hours. The sound was ok too. Nothing life changing, but a good time. They had met the members of Arcade Fire that day, and were, in their own words, awestruck. The members of Arcade Fire were at the show.

but...

the opening act.... who I think was Black Mountain (I am not sure because they never mentioned their name).....

...they thudded along in a soupy mess of kick drum, blown speaker guitar, barely audible out of tune vocals and ZERO stage presence.

Honestly.... they even had bad posture.You noticed this because they stood frozen on stage...

I understand the "indie then thou" philosophy... but come on. Maybe in a small venue or recorded they actually are worth your time. Not in this setting.

• Members

I saw Arcade Fire this summer and was fairly unimpressed. Of course, I saw Wilco, Modest Mouse, The Pixies and Joanna Newsom on the same day...

What sort of venue was it?

How was the crowd?

What sort of stage presence does coldplay have?

• Members

It was at the local nhl rink, the Bell Center. Sold out show, around 18000. The crowd loved it.

As they started "Yellow" the singers guitar crapped out twice. He just said "hold it, let's try that again", and restarted the tune.

It was a bit funny, and the crwod really got behind them, cheering. He reffered to it all night, changing words in songs to "Like when you f^&%ed up Yellow".

The guitar sound was really good. Kinda Edge meets vintage guitar tones.

As for stage presence.... they all seem to "get into it" a lot. Chris Martin (the singer) balances between intense, nose on the piano, and whimsical, rave like bouncing around. Some of the bouncing was a bit distracting, but overall, really pro. They have their vibe, and they seem to groove to it.

Archived