mesa lonestar

Baddass

• Moderators

Originally posted by Baddass

Is this amp worth me plucking down 2000 bucks for it?

Why ask us? Play it and a bunch of other amps, then make a personal choice.

I personally prefer the BadCat stuff to the LoneStar, having played both. I also like the GainStar a lot, same designer. But your mileage could certainly vary.

Terry D.

• Members

The Gain Star amplifiers are really something I don't hear in many of the amps I have. It has the ability to have a WIDE range of unique high gain tones. Tones that are really stellar. I just don't like amps's gain stage at all in general. The Gain Star is a real eye opener when it comes to producing gain. Not only do the tone shaping controls have a unique fell and response (takes a tiny bit to get used to) but they offer a sound that is really stand alone. They don't leave you wanting an overdrive pedal.

Mark has had his ear talked off by me about the virtures of his latest baby.

The only strange thing is that the clean channel lights a Red LED when on, and no LED lit for the gain channel. But, he told me about the design thoughts, he wanted to design it so that if any failure should occur (NOT) then it would default to what he thought was a mode that still left the player with the most amount of info.

If you want a high gain amp and don't want to use pedals, this is it. Esspecially if you want a unique tone.

I have an early 30 and it will never leave my collection. I really think this is a unique amplifier design which is hard to do these days.

As far as Mesa things go....I'm going to put a Lonestar on order very soon. Talking to them, they have made several improvements that offer tremendous flexibility and tone. My current fav Mesa is still the Blue Angel.

Robert Keeley

Archived