Highway One strat jumbo frets vs med jumbo

flip333

• Members

GASing for a new nicer strat. The highway one looks good. played one at the store... felt and sounded marvelous... I think it has jumbo frets. looks like last years model with little head and decal.

What's your experience with jumbo frets verses smaller frets?

My ESP has "XJ frets". They are big enough and buttery to play.

I need help so I don't pull the trigger without thinking this through.

Also, I want to put a new neck on my Peavey Raptor after playing that HO.

Thanks for your ideas.

• Members

You know that older Highway One's are the exact same guitar as the old MIM Standards, right? The only difference is that the Highway one was assembled in the USA and the Standard in Mexico.

If you aren't going for a NEW (as in 2006 or newer) Highway One, just go for a Standard. Cheaper and the new Standards are even better. Better pups, steel bridge block, med/jumbo frets.

Hell...I picked a Standard over the NEW Highway Ones. Yes, I got lucky and got an amazing playing and sounding one, but I ordered it instead of shopping around for one. It came in, got picked up, then I got it for Christmas. It's by far the best guitar I've ever played (even compared to MIA Strats I've played).

As for your actual question, I've only played one guitar with frets that I thought were Jumbo. They just didn't feel very smooth to me. Sliding up and down the fretboard was bumpy because of how big the frets were. They fretted easily enough, but were also easier to bend notes out of tune on. I prefer Medium/Jumbo frets. All the guitars I own have med/jumbo frets.

• Members

Damn! Thanks Anti...

{censored}, I did not know that about H ones. Such Trickery.

I played a couple of MIA strats that did not grab me, but this Honey blonde SSS does sound good.

I better not get a Highway One without playing it. Thinking of going up to Davenport and trying a few at GC.

I've had to get used to the big frets on the ESP. I play lighter and use 11's. It sounds good and feels good to play.

Might have to forget about color and get the best sounding and playing guitar I can find.

• Members

"You know that older Highway One's are the exact same guitar as the old MIM Standards, right? The only difference is that the Highway one was assembled in the USA and the Standard in Mexico"

Wow, I'm constantly amazed at the wrong information on this forum, but this one takes the cake. FYI for the record here are the only similarities between the old H1 and the mexican standard:

Fender Vintage Bridge

Fender Standard Ping Tuners

Here are the differences

Neck (Medium jumbo frets, rolled fingerboard, and tinting on the maple for the H1 vs Standard vintage frets, no rolling, no tinting on the MIM)

String Trees (modern roller trees on the H1 vs standard vintage on the MIM)

Body/Wood/paint (3 piece original countor alder with a thin-satin finish on the H1 vs standard 5-7 piece on the MIM with thick gloss)

Pickups (Fender "vintage series" alnico magnets on the H1 vs standard series ceramics on the MIM)

Electronics (Geasebucket tone circuit on the H1 vs standard series tone circuit on MIM)

Oh yeah and its not just assembly, one is made in mexico the other is made in america (ie setup, fret dressing/ leveling, etc and feels it).

Owning both I can confidently say the older H1s were in a different league from the MIMs and are a great deal if you can find a NOS one.

So unless you think what makes a guitar is the bridge and tuners, the guitars are no where near "the same"...

• Members

IMG_1055.jpg?t=1168645416

I really love my H1, it just feels right in my hands (and better than the MIA i used to own). I've made a few inexpensive upgrades to mine:

US Vintage Reissue steel block - $20

Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s - $120

But the guitar plays/sounds great stock. I've owned a lot of guitars including some Gibsons, and more expensive Fenders and the H1 has always felt like home.

Oh one more thing, if you're looking at the old H1 (w/ the small vintage headstock), the frets are medium jumbo, not jumbo. Only the new H1s have jumbo frets.

In the end tho, play what works best for you. It sounds to me like the H1 impressed you....

Happy guitar hunting, if you can find a NOS (new old stock) pre upgrade H1 you'll should be able to get an excellent deal. These used to sell new for 629 discounted, but since its now discontinued i've seen them go for under 5 bills.

• Members

It did! I love the way that guitar sounds and feels! And $629 !!

BUT,

1) ugly honey blonde (grey poupon if you ask me)

2) SSS without a nice beefy HB in the bridge.

I would like a Highway One SSH in Daphne Blue. MF and other online dealers have a great return policy, so I'd only be out shipping.

Ahh, I can see it now....

Archived