String gauge and springs

dilin

• Members

Hi folks,

I just swapped out my 9s on my 60th anni std strat, and, as expected, some floating problems presented themselves.

when tuned to E flat, the bridge kept going higher and higher. I loosened all the strings, and tightened the claws at the back to the maximum. There were 3 springs at the back, btw. Then i retuned, but the bridge kept going up while the tuning drops.

i should have ask around before changing to 11s... hope you guys can help.

it's the first string (11s) change on the std btw, i just got it a month ago.

thanks.

• Members

oh.. i see.. but some folks say that only 3 springs in a triangle config will suffice..

If you take the end springs and make them parallel (instead of the triangle config), you'll increase the tension a little for the same claw position. If you are already close, then this should be adequate.

If you are way off, then mc5nrg and mrfreeze are right, you'll want to go to 5 springs. You can order these off the net from all sorts of places like stewmac.com and Allparts.

• Members

thx guys,

realized i just needed more patience. i started back from scratch, and each time the bridge rises, i detuned, and tightened the claws, repeating the process until it becomes stable. the triangular springs config held up, and the bridge is floating 1/8" off the body.

thx folks!

Archived