what's an F-spaced pickup?

wwyang76

• Members

Quote form DiMarzio:

"Tech note:

F-spacing

All DiMarzio full-size humbucker pickups (except X2N and 7-string models) are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two, and is typically used on Fender guitars, or guitars with Floyd Rose bridge systems. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1 11/16" (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well."

• Members

You should also note that pickups with blade-style poles (such as the Dimarzio X2N or the Bill Lawrence 500XL) can be placed in either a regular or tremolo guitar. Same goes for EMG's, and Tom Anderson Humbuckers.

• Members

F-spacing refers to Fender spacing. Compare it to G-spacing, which refers to Gibson spacing. That's what the terms mean.

In actual real life, however, the Fender/Gibson paradigm doesn't necessarily hold up. You should always check the actual width of your strings (with a ruler or other measuring device) at both the bridge pickup and neck pickup positions.

The GOAL, just so we're all clear, is to have the pole pieces of the pickup match the position of the strings. Each string should pass over the center of each pole piece.

• Members

cycloneJBbridge_small.jpg

as you see, without an Fspaced pickup the holes don't line up correctly, but my experience with both kinds is that it doesn't really affect sound,

I would say go for it, but only for esthetical purposes :thu:

edit, as far as I know this only applies for the bridge position, not the neck,

and the effect in sound should be minimal, since the quality of the sound doesn't decrease in your guitar when you bend (same principle)

:( excuse my broken english

Archived