Nut Replacement Help Needed

joshmac

• Members

Awhile back, probably 6 months ago, i accidentally broke part of my nut on my strat. I glued it back in, but it is just a temporary fix. I was wondering, how hard would it be to remove the old nut and replace it with a new one? What tools would be needed? On a scale of 1-10 rate the difficulty of this task. Also, what kind of nut should i go for. A tutorial link would be excellent. Thank you all, this place is great

• Members

if you google search im sure youll find a good site with a walkthrough -

if its your 1st time and youve never seen someone do it, id rate it as not hard but very EASY to damage your guitar in the process.

just remember to take it slow, and if you strip/chip/remove wood from your guitar you cant put it back "easily".

i started to type out a little walkthrough but you really should witness it happening or at least research it alot. its not that hard but like i said its easy to mess stuff up real fast

• Members

To do the job properly, you need a nut spacing template, nut files, a grinder of some sort, sandpaper, steel wool, a nut blank (you better get at least two) and some time and patience.

If you just want a new nut that will work, order a preslotted graphtech online, just make sure the nut width is correct when you order.

Archived