Parallel wiring?

wednzday

• Members

Anybody here who installed their humbuckers in parallel wiring? Any difference in the sound, is it a big change or just a subtle one? I thinking of changing the wiring of my HFH in the neck from the conventional series wiring to a parallel one. I'm kinda looking for a single coil-ish sound for a nice clean tone. Would you guys recommend this? :confused:

• Members

Different humbuckers will be affected in different ways. But, you can expect a lower output and less crunch from most 'buckers. You can also try splitting the coils to get a single coil sound.

I suggest trying it out, it definitely will give you a new sound. Whether or not it ends up being what you're after is a-whole-nother story.

• Members

I've got a few guitars with a series/parallel switch, it gives you a strat-like tone that's still humbucking. It's a clear difference.

P.S. What most people think is coil tapping, is actually a series/parallel switch. DiMarzio used to sell the Super Distortion with a switch calling it a Dual Sound... and that's all it was.

• Members

Anybody here who installed their humbuckers in parallel wiring? Any difference in the sound, is it a big change or just a subtle one? I thinking of changing the wiring of my HFH in the neck from the conventional series wiring to a parallel one. I'm kinda looking for a single coil-ish sound for a nice clean tone. Would you guys recommend this?
:confused:

Yes. I did it to a Duncan Custom I was about to put on eBay. I couldn't get a good clean tone out of that pickup and I have to have good cleans.

It worked very well. The parallel sound is similar to position 2 on a Stratocaster. It was a much more sparkly sound with less output.

My suggestion would be to do it to a dark, overwound humbucker. The Custom fits the bill. Anything else would probably be too thin and have too weak an output level.

• Members

Would putting a humbucker in parallel have more output than splitting it?

Rarely. In fact it will probably sound thinner than the single coil (split bucker) and be perceived as having less output. That's my impression with the ones I've played with anyway (Tom Anderson H3 and SD1, GFS Dream 180, Seymour Duncan JB).

Archived