Thinking of moving from SG to something else

mmmiddle

• Members

I've gigged my Gibson SG Special for two years now. It does most of what I want it to do pretty well. I have a lot of annoying problems with it though. Mostly I'm pretty sure it is the way I'm built compared to the fretboard angle and such. In other words, the playability of it is not really there. It's really hard for me to play anything on the E, B, or G strings. Part of it is the neck-heavy design and part of it is something else I can only describe as fretboard angle.

My question is, can an HH strat be as heavy, chimy, and good sounding as my SG and is it easier to play solos on? Or should I try something else?

• Members

maybe a Les Paul?

and I think what you mean might be that the bridge seems to be moved more to the left (because of the placement of the strap pins). That way your strumming hand has to be positioned differently

That too!

But what I actually meant is that I can throw down superfast riffs on E/A/D but for some reason on the SG it's hard to play on the higher strings. I have a tele and it is way easier.

• Members

That too!

But what I actually meant is that I can throw down superfast riffs on E/A/D but for some reason on the SG it's hard to play on the higher strings. I have a tele and it is way easier.

I don't think it will universally be easier to play solos on a strat, typically due to scale length it's easier with an SG.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the setup on the SG

BTW perhaps the neck dive would be resolved with gibson plastic tuners. Sometimes it's the weight of the tuners that makes the dive on an sg.

• Members
I've gigged my Gibson SG Special for two years now. It does most of what I want it to do pretty well. I have a lot of annoying problems with it though. Mostly I'm pretty sure it is the way I'm built compared to the fretboard angle and such. In other words, the playability of it is not really there. It's really hard for me to play anything on the E, B, or G strings. Part of it is the neck-heavy design and part of it is something else I can only describe as fretboard angle.

My question is, can an HH strat be as heavy, chimy, and good sounding as my SG and is it easier to play solos on? Or should I try something else?

2prs89.jpg

Archived