Peavey Classic 30 question (New Amp Day!)

Foozman

• Members

It's fixed....just make sure you tell the vendor what amp you have so he'll give you tubes best suited for your amp.

Just got my new Classic 30. Loving it so far.

The documentation is somewhat sparse. Does anyone know if this amp is self-biasing? Do I need to get it rebiased if I replace the tubes?

• Members

I just got my head retubed. I highly recommend talking to Doug at Doug's Tubes. (
http://www.dougstubes.com/
)

He was very helpful before AND after I bought my tubes from him.
:thu:

same here... i used Dougs Tubes... he answered questions i had and then recommended the tubes that would suit my needs the best...

very good guy :thu:

• Members

Nope. It's brand new. Got it today. I was just curious as this is my first tube amp, and the documentation that comes with is sparse.

Good choice for a first tube amp. The C30 is a workhorse of an amp. My buddy has been banging his around for years without any repairs needed. They rock.:thu:

He did get a tube guard for it though. If you do not plan on hauling it around you prol' dont need one.

• Members

Mine came with a tubeguard. I wonder if it's the new models? Or maybe someone returned this to MF.

I also hear a fairly loud pop when switching it off. Is that normal?

The tube guard might be part of the new upgrades they mentioned doing to the amp. Some tube amps make a "pop" when shutting down. Would have to hear it myself to know if it is sounding "normal". Should be fine.

• Members

Hahaha. 100W? How do you even turn that on without blowing out the windows?

I think I might end up keeping this puppy downstairs and playing it when the wife's not home...
:)

and that's exaclty how i do it. when the folks aren't home. well, not exactly. I have the vol. at one most of the time which is acceptable to my parents.

• Members

I know eurotubes.com has several different re-tube kits for the Classic 30. One gets you more gain, one gets you more headroom, one is for blues, one is for more rockin' tones.

And I think it's pretty much plug and play cause the C30 is fixed biased. And like someone else said..... Peavey biases them on the cold side so there's little worry of overstressing the tubes...... but I'm talkin' out my ass cause I really don't know much about tubes and biasing.....

I LOVE my Classic 30!! It's a Limited Edition with blue suede covering.

It is very warm and phat sounding. I put an Eminence Governor in it.

Check my sig if you're interested in hearing it. :)

Archived