Luthiers....

luke978

• Members

I'm about to start on my first build. I'm going to snag a fender neck and build an A symetrical flying V type body for it. Probably will go with a Duncan JB in the bridge and maybe a noisless single coil or mini-humbucker in the neck.

Its my first, so I'm looking for some fairly cheap wood: Basswood, or Alder. Where do you get your wood? Are there any other cheap'ish tonewoods?

Have any of you built a custom body around a used neck? If so show your pics!!

• Members

Saga and Mighty-Mite offer some inexpensive necks and bodies. Allparts,Carvin and WD are midpriced. Warmoth and American Custom are the top shelf. there are others, but these are the ones that come to mind. You can also find bodies on ebay.

Do all of those do custom shapes and stuff.

• Members

First of all, assuming like in your first post you want to build your own body...

I suggest going to see someone like me, NOT a guitar builder or from a guitar supply place, but a regular woodworker (IE a cabinet shop, preferably a furniture shop that will have solid woods in stock).

I keep lots of 8/4 rough basswood, poplar, ash, maple, walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc etc in stock and I sell it at the going market price. Most "guitar" wood suppliers inflate the wood prices a LOT.

Just make sure you are getting kiln dried lumber not air dry.

AJC

PS american poplar makes one hell of a body and as far as my suppliers are concerned is still the least expensive hardwood going. It machines well and sounds fine.

• Members

First of all, assuming like in your first post you want to build your own body...

I suggest going to see someone like me, NOT a guitar builder or from a guitar supply place, but a regular woodworker (IE a cabinet shop, preferably a furniture shop that will have solid woods in stock).

I keep lots of 8/4 rough basswood, poplar, ash, maple, walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc etc in stock and I sell it at the going market price. Most "guitar" wood suppliers inflate the wood prices a LOT.

Just make sure you are getting kiln dried lumber not air dry.

AJC

PS american poplar makes one hell of a body and as far as my suppliers are concerned is still the least expensive hardwood going. It machines well and sounds fine.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was looking for a lumber supplier, not a Guitar wood supplier. I know how much these specialty shops will absolutely rape a person on cost. Its a crime.

Archived