What pups for SG BBQ or Super Dist.

keith2112

• Members

The SG is the silverburst. I had a white Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a black super 2 in the neck of a silverburst V back in the day. That guitar killed. I needed no pedals whatsoever playing through a Marshall master volume 2203 100 watt head. The other option is a chrome covered RIO BBQ and probably the matching texas special that goes with it. I allready have the BBQ. I want something HOT for this one. Are the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF HOT high enough output for heavy Sabath, Judas Priest type of stuff?

• Members

The SG is the silverburst. I had a white Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a black super 2 in the neck of a silverburst V back in the day. That guitar killed. I needed no pedals whatsoever playing through a Marshall master volume 2203 100 watt head. The other option is a chrome covered RIO BBQ and probably the matching texas special that goes with it. I allready have the BBQ. I want something HOT for this one. Are the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF HOT high enough output for heavy Sabath, Judas Priest type of stuff?

The Dimarzio Paf's arent super hot...but a classic combination would be the Paf neck and Super D bridge. The super D is considered a high output pup. It's a nice combo. You could switch out the Paf with the Paf-hot you mention for a little bit more power. Might not be as sweet though.

Not that you mentioned them but the Gibson Ceramics 496R (neck)/500T(bridge)are nice as well. Kind of like the Dimarzio Paf/Super D combo except that the are a bit hotter. I have them in my Explorer and have no problem getting any hard rock or classic metal tones. You can get sets pretty damn cheap on e-bay. Under $100 easy. They have audio clips of them at the Gibson site. They can get those tones and more.

• Members

if i was going for what you are describing, i'd put a set of iommi's in that thing. you can bet your sweet ass i would
:thu:

The Iommi's power is right inbetween the ceramics 496R/500T. Not as hot as the 500T but hotter than the 496R. The set is Alnico neck/ Ceramic bridge...just like the Paf/Super D but hotter. They are epoxy potted instead of the usual wax. Not sure what thats all about...even more feedback resistance than wax potted prol'. I wouldnt doubt it as Iommi plays loud.

Cant go wrong with these or any of the others mentioned. Good stuff!

• Members

The Iommi's power is right inbetween the ceramics 496R/500T. Not as hot as the 500T but hotter than the 496R. The set is Alnico neck/ Ceramic bridge...just like the Paf/Super D but hotter. They are epoxy potted instead of the usual wax. Not sure what thats all about...even more feedback resistance than wax potted prol'. I wouldnt doubt it as Iommi plays loud.

Cant go wrong with these or any of the others mentioned. Good stuff!

Don't get hung up on pwer ratings. It's a great sounding pickup. If you're after the sabbath sound you can;t do better.

• Members

I almost swear by the Rio BBQ in my Gibsons. In my worn-brown faded SG Special I started out with the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage HOT PAF cuz it had just come out and I wanted to try it. I got it in double creme...it looked pretty damn cool. At the time, I was plugging into my Mesa Tremoverb, and I was able to get a nice sabbathy tone with it. Some guy even came up to me after a gig, and said, dude..you sound like Iommi! The PU isn't all that hot, but my amp had more than enough gain. The tone is very rich and smooth which I liked...for leads it sounded beautiful, but I wanted I little more oomph from the pickup for riffs. So, I put a chrome Rio Grande BBQ/TX set in there, and it's been perfect. The BBQ has better harmonics and it's just thicker on it's own.

Archived