killswitch wiring on a squier bullet, any ideas?

fatcarlos3

• Members

I don't believe that the buckethhead uses a tone pot for the kill switch. I think he uses a separate double click,(or single pull/double throw) switch. Push it once for the kill, and push it again to reconnect. You wire the switch between the pickups and the output jack. In this manner, with a push, you disrupt the output. With another push, you reconnect.

I suppose you could wire this to a push/pull pot. Pull to connect and push to disrupt. However to get the flutter sound, you would have to be pretty good with the switch. Using a push switch, you just keep tapping the switch.

A simple example of the switch is a light switch. Go to Lowes and find a push type switch. I would send you to radio shack for it, but they are notorious for selling junky switches. Be sure to ground the switch to eliminate any hum. Good Luck

• Members

Regardless of the other circuitry, the killswitch wiring is simple.

1. Solder a length of wire to the tip terminal of the guitar's output jack.

2. Solder a second wire to the sleeve terminal of the output jack.

3. Solder the other end of the first wire to one terminal of a SPST switch.

4. Solder the other end of the second wire to the other terminal of the SPST switch.

What you are trying to do is short the output to ground.

You can also use a "momentary on-off-latching on" switch to make "stutter" effects with the momentary side, and mute the guitar with the latching side.

• Members

I don't believe that the buckethhead uses a tone pot for the kill switch. I think he uses a separate double click,(or single pull/double throw) switch. Push it once for the kill, and push it again to reconnect. You wire the switch between the pickups and the output jack. In this manner, with a push, you disrupt the output. With another push, you reconnect.

I suppose you could wire this to a push/pull pot. Pull to connect and push to disrupt. However to get the flutter sound, you would have to be pretty good with the switch. Using a push switch, you just keep tapping the switch.

A simple example of the switch is a light switch. Go to Lowes and find a push type switch. I would send you to radio shack for it, but they are notorious for selling junky switches. Be sure to ground the switch to eliminate any hum. Good Luck

i meant puting the killswitch where the tone pot goes and eliminate one tone. I would go to Lowes if there was one less than 1000 miles from where I am located right now lol. I'll look for the switch in some local stores but I thought it would be kind of like an inverse "door bell" ring switch

• Members

El Glom O has given very good instructions. He has also corrected an error in my reply. It is a single pull/single throw switch. Follow his instructions and you should be good to go. Just take out the tone pot you want to replace and put the switch in the hole for the pot.

• Members

Regardless of the other circuitry, the killswitch wiring is simple.

1. Solder a length of wire to the tip terminal of the guitar's output jack.

2. Solder a second wire to the sleeve terminal of the output jack.

3. Solder the other end of the first wire to one terminal of a SPST switch.

4. Solder the other end of the second wire to the other terminal of the SPST switch.

What you are trying to do is short the output to ground.

You can also use a "momentary on-off-latching on" switch to make "stutter" effects with the momentary side, and mute the guitar with the latching side.

this sounds simple enough. what would be the diference btwn "grounding the signal" and "cuting" it off with a switch btwn the pickups and the output?

"momentary on-off-latching on" = door bell ring switch?:confused:

• Members

The SPST switch will only interupt the output while you are holding the button in. When you let go, it will reconnect. This is the door bell. Push it rings, let go and it stops.

The momentary latch is a push once on, push again off.

Sorry about not looking at your location. I guess a Lowes would be a little tough. If you go to any area electronics store and tell them what you want to do, they will get you the right switch. The point is that the switch is nothing special. You just wire it into the output of the guitar.

• Members

this sounds simple enough. what would be the diference btwn "grounding the signal" and "cuting" it off with a switch btwn the pickups and the output?

"momentary on-off-latching on" = door bell ring switch?
:confused:

If you just break the connection between the guitar's output and the amp, it will be an open circuit that will pick up any ambient electrical noise and send it right into your amp. If you short the output to ground, it silences the amp.

"Momentary on-off-latching on" would be a three-position toggle switch, either SPDT or DPDT. The center position is off. The throw in one direction locks. The throw in the other direction doesn't lock and is spring-loaded to the center position so that it springs back to the off position when you release pressure on the toggle.

Try www.digikey.com part no. CKN1023-ND for plain SPST switch or part no. CKN1028-ND for the momentary on-off-latching on switch.

• Members

The SPST switch will only interupt the output while you are holding the button in. When you let go, it will reconnect. This is the door bell. Push it rings, let go and it stops.

The momentary latch is a push once on, push again off.

I suppose I left room for confusion by not stating that I was referring to toggle-type switches only, but your description is still bit misleading.

Regardless of whether the actuator is a toggle, rocker, pushbutton, or some other form, a momentary switch actuates only while pressure is maintained on the switch.

A push on/push off switch is just a latching switch with a button.

• Members

Heres my fender stratocaster with a killswitch there below the middle pickup. I basically did what was said above. Make sure you ground it as best as you can or else it will hum or pop when you use it.

fenderstratub6.jpg

you are going to want to buy a normally closed monentary push button switch.

if you are interested in what mine sounds like I can post a youtube video i made playing jordan using the killswitch

• Members

you are going to want to buy a normally closed monentary push button switch.

No.

A normally-open switch is required. Closing the switch completes the connection from the hot lead to ground, muting the instrument.

fatcarlos3 - I've had good luck ordering from Digi-key. I don't know how they are with international orders, but I'd guess that they will do them. Check the link that I posted previously.

• Members

No.

A normally-open switch is required. Closing the switch completes the connection from the hot lead to ground, muting the instrument.

fatcarlos3 - I've had good luck ordering from Digi-key. I don't know how they are with international orders, but I'd guess that they will do them. Check the link that I posted previously.

my mistake you are right

• Members

Just splice it into the hot wire from your volume pot to your output jack. Will work fine.

That's not correct. Wiring the switch that way will leave the open circuit that picks up noise. The idea is to short output to ground.

The SPDT switch will work if wired properly.

Archived