replacement pickups for 2 pickup guitar?

ftngrave

• Members

I have a mid 60s multivox premier solid body, a very distinct guitar with a scroll shaped horn. I'm considering restoring it to play because I really like the look and feel of it, and my main concern is what pickups to get it. It is a two pickup guitar, and features three jaguar like switches, presumably on/off for the pickups, but am taking it to my guitar guy to see how the electronics really work. I've never played it, its wiring needs to be put back together, something I don't know how to do.

I was thinking this would be a nice opportunity to get a unique setup of truly distinct neck and bridge pickups. I want the two pickups to be distinctly different, so they offer sounds on their own as well as an interesting combination-nothing like the tele though and I don't want as much homogeneity between the pickups as a strat or jaguar (although any info on jaguar pickups would be helpful, I'm assuming the bridge and neck pickups of a jag are quite similar but don't really know-the pickup braces on this guitar seem to mimic the jaguar interestingly as well as the switches so if a jag's two pickups are distinct from each other I might consider incorporating replacement pickup of a jag type for this guitar).

Despite the typical problems with choosing pickups (hard to really know what they'll sound like), my main concern is with my style. I want the neck/rhythm pickup to be very wall balanced overall in frequency so that each note of the six strings is heard as part of the overall chord; my favorite electric guitar sounds come from yo la tengo, sonic youth, and my bloody valentine. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio nor anybody else don't seem to cater towards this kind of versatile, atypical guitar tone. As far as the bridge/lead pickup, I'm thinking I just want something a bit more hot and progressive, would like to try something new-I most often play my strat and probably adjust my marshall distortion more than most-I like a cutting tone that I can manipulate.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction? I've always used the pickups my guitars come with and find looking at replacement pickups a bit ambiguous. Perhaps I'm just asking for something out of pickups that isn't there and shouldn't worry about it-i love my vintage 360 rickenbacker but I don't play it or make it sound like most. And yet I like its pickups, although the feedback is frightening through my gear at high volumes.

Hope this makes sense.

• Members

They're single coil size. I have one of its two pickups. I just assumed the pickups put in the multivox premiers probably weren't that great. You think I should have a pickup made like the one I've got? That the original pickups are good? It is around the time that started putting a plastic top laminated onto the wood, so maybe the original pickups were made with that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived