G&L MFD Pickups...........Comments?

paul44

• Members

I've had my G&L ASAT Classic 3 for about 18 months now,but I just haven't been able to warm to the MFD ceramic pickups.To me,they just sound dull and lifeless.I've got replacement alnicos on the way.

Has anyone else been underwhelmed by them?

• Members

I've had my G&L ASAT Classic 3 for about 18 months now,but I just haven't been able to warm to the MFD ceramic pickups.To me,they just sound dull and lifeless.I've got replacement alnicos on the way.

Huh? I actually LOVED them on my old G&L ASAT Classic! The harmonics were insane!

• Members

I liked them.

big and meaty sounding.

hope your decision isn't entirely based on that ceramic vs. alnico debate ; )

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/magnets.htm

• Members

i've got a asat classic with the mofo single coils, and at first i thought it was the worlds best guitar with one exception...it didnt sound great, no character. everything was there, but it didnt thrill me.

over a few months i've ragged the arse of it, and now somehow it now just does everything...i guess it beat me down into submission really! its hands downs the best production guitar i've ever played tho, out of several thousand over the years. when i start making my own brand in the next few years, it will be the blue print....

i totally aggree tho - they seem dull at first....

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

I play it straight into a Laney VC30-212,no pedals.Everything else I play through it (Strats,LP,Eastwood) sound great,but with the ASAT it's like someone's thrown a couple of blankets over the amp.

And no,I don't subscribe to the ceramic vs. alnico argument,just what sounds good and what doesn't.It just so happens that all my other guitars have alnico pups.I can't think of any other variable that would account for them sounding so bluuurrggh!

Anyhoo,I'm gonna swap em out and see what happens.

• Members

maybe your asat is modded?

something is not right if it sounds so dull, they dont come out the factory like that, unless there's actually some kind of problem thats occurred in transit etc.

was it new when you got it? maybe someone's stuck a cap in its ass...well across the jack etc? i've seen people try all sorts of things, and not return them to good working order when they didnt like em. have a look inside and see whats going on.

I must admit 'streamlining' sounds bad to me, when the accountants get involved the world turns to {censored}.

for me, the whole asian g&l idea cheapens the whole brand a little bit. its a shame.

having said that, i used to find g&l quality a tad shaky. i've played a few of the old strat style g&l's that had pretty severe neck problems for a guitar that was a couple of years old. huge bowing that i had to get rid of, but neither myself nor the guitar felt quite right afterwards. essentially the wood just didnt like being held in that shape, and it never would. it kind of made me steer clear of g&l's for years until i came across my asat.

if the older guitar that was still $1500 was like mine, and the $999 werent up to the same standard, i'd take the $1500 and leave a big fat tip to the dude who sold it to me!

dunno what it is about some guitars...

Archived