Build question -body route GTK3 Roland kit

Paraclete

• Members

Im considering building-in the Roland GTK3 (permanent/internal) hex pup system to a build I am planning. It will be going into a body that I will be making instead of retro-fitting it into an existing body. Have any of you tried this yet? If so, any tips you might have...The Roland install manual is very vague on this,as I guess they gear it towards retro-fits more than from-scratch builds..

The body will consist of wings onto a Maple neck-thru blank, and will have a 1/4 in thick Walnut top. (havent decided on the wood for the back/wings,yet).

The guitar will be routed also,for a PRS tremelo unit, 2x P-90's with a 3-way and volume for each pup.(no tone control). If I include this synth pup, it will add the selector switch, a mix switch (piezo/mix/mag),vol knob for the hex pup,and S1/S2 switches. I will locate the Roland output jack on the lower edge next to the std guitar output jack.

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/GKKITGT3_OM-e5d320e6bbd382b0e49c419b28efb479.pdf

I am wondering if it will make more sense to mark everything up and do the routing before I glue-up the wings/top/etc, or just glue everything up,dry it outTHEN do the routing?

• Members

Have you used the GK3? I have to agree with the poster who mentioned going with a piezo bridge. Check StewMac, they sell kits. I have both the GK3 (on a strat) and a Godin with the piezo bridge. The piezo tracks MUCH better and as an added bennifit I love the accoustic guitar sound. The Godin is wired for 3 voice. I've used electric, accoustic and synth all together live and the sound is huge. Seriously, you should think about it.

Archived