Anyone think G&L whammy bars aren't so great?

eddidaz

• Members

I think this is the only part of the guitar they've made worse than Fenders.

They'd be better if they flopped down when you let go of them and would be more useful if they were longer and/or a bit more out from the body. The lack of knob type plastic thing on the end also makes them less comfortable and harder to grab quickly without looking. Plus, mine squeeks at the joint as I turn it round.

Or is it just me? Can they be replaced with Fender bars?

• Members

I'm not a big whammy user. Both my guitars have blocked trems. I never had a problem with it when I was playing around with it when I first got the guitar. My bar does not squeak when rotated and I liked that the bar stay in place rather than flop around while I played. It seems to be made of a sturdy piece of metal too.

My main complaint with the trem, actually, is that with the stock setup the range seemed limited and the trem action was stiff. I'm sure that could be addressed with setting up the springs though, not that I really care because I blocked the guitar anyway.

• Members

I own a Legacy and there is a small allen screw on the side of the hole where the bar goes into the bridge that controls the tension on the bar. If you adjust it just right, the bar WILL swing free (mine does), and once it is adjusted, I have found that it has just enough tension to hold it in place in the guitar, but I can quickly remove the whammy to put the guitar in the case without having to loosen the setscrew. I'm not a huge whammy user, but I have not found the lack of the plastic nob to be an issue. Actually, if I were to compare my G&L to a Fender, I think the whammys on Fender Strats seem cheezie and thin and not as substantial as mine is.

-Mikey

• Members

I own a Legacy and there is a small allen screw on the side of the hole where the bar goes into the bridge that controls the tension on the bar. If you adjust it just right, the bar WILL swing free (mine does), and once it is adjusted, I have found that it has just enough tension to hold it in place in the guitar, but I can quickly remove the whammy to put the guitar in the case without having to loosen the setscrew. I'm not a huge whammy user, but I have not found the lack of the plastic nob to be an issue. Actually, if I were to compare my G&L to a Fender, I think the whammys on Fender Strats seem cheezie and thin and not as substantial as mine is.

-Mikey

+1

I'm not much of a whammy user, but I definitely prefer the non-threaded and more substantial G&L trem.

• Members

-Mikey

Huh, I haven't got round to making any adjustments yet. I was going to look for an appropriate sized allen key to lower my g string pickup, then fiddle with the whammy a bit to see what can be done. I will try leaving it a bit loose.

Don't you guys find it awkward pushing the bar down? It gets awfully close to the body and I'd prefer to have the full control of wrapping my fist around the thing, which just can't seem to be done.

Archived