Need help picking a Strat-style guitar

pattonjon

• Members

So I wanted to hear some gurus weigh in.

First:

I plan on swapping out the pickups for some Kent Andersons. Therefore, I don't actually care what the pickups are like.

I'm trying to stay in the $1,300 or lower range, so no Tom Andersons or Pensa/Suhrs for me. I could afford a Pensa if saving for a house wasn't a priority.

My favorite size neck I've felt on a Strat has been the solf c--v style on the Eric Johnson Strat. It feels a lot like my tele neck. I'd also be happy with a Tele-style with three pickup slots, because I play my Tele a lot and it would make it easy to switch between them.

What I care about, then, is that

a) There won't be any intonation problems. Some of the lower-end Fenders have this problem, so I don't want to just get a cheapy strat and replace the pickups.

b) Sustain. I'm incredibly happy playing my custom tele, but it doesn't have the sustain of a Strat. I'd prefer something like Ash.

c) Slightly thicker neck than the standard Strat.

I know it sounds like I ought to just go to the custom shop, but I'd end up paying twice as much for a guitar instead of just picking up one of the signature models (like the Eric Johnson, which has the neck size I want).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to get something like an American Standard with just a different neck on it without paying custom shop prices?

Does anyone have any other advice?

I probably won't remember to check this very often, so if anyone is thinking "Dude, I know EXACTLY what you need," please e-mail me:

pattonjon AT hotmail DOTNOSPAM com (replace the spaces and words with the obvious @ and .)

Archived