Best passive pickup for Metal....

killswitch_19

• Members

I need a bridge pickup for my Ibanez SZ 520 QM. It's got a mahogany body and neck with a maple cap.

I usually play EMG's but I'm looking for something a little different. It needs to be extremely tight, articulate and clear under high gain.

All opinions and options appreciated:)

• Members

I'm getting a Kent Armstrong Ultra Distortion M215K installed in my ESP baritone over the weekened...will let you know on Monday how good it is.

Chuck Shuldinger (Death) loved the Dimarzio X2N. Maybe a viable option to look at.

Many death metal guys swear by the Seymour Duncan Invader.

Many thrash guys seem to love the Seymour Duncan JB or Dimebucker.

Should give you a few starting points.

• Members

I've got an Invader in my Strat (not liking it too much but its not terrible for standard tuning....tuned way down and tried it and it sounded muddy as {censored}), a JB in my Tokai (JB is my favorite pickup for distortion...period...but always looking to improve anything), did have a 59' In my Tokai (not high enough output), have owned EMG 81's (thin and tinny, not too impressed).

I wouldn't mind trying a Custom as it seems to fit the bill and I'm always looking for new sounds. Please do post if you guys own one.

BTW I run my guitars through Peavey XXX combo's.

• Members

Originally posted by supa_scoopa

I was going to say this.

Yep. I have a 500T loaded in my Classic.

I'd like to throw out that you don't always need a high output pickup to do metal. I'm doing Megadeth with my burstbucker 1 & 2 (not pros) loaded historic LP. These are PAF style pickups through a high gain amp (or pedal).

I think pickup timbre is most important - getting the right amount of bass, mids and treble.

Although a high output pickup will make leads a lot easier, it will muddy up the power chords.

• Members

Originally posted by Sekator

Chuck Shuldinger (Death) loved the Dimarzio X2N. Maybe a viable option to look at.

+1

Awesome pickup, it has the clarity of an EMG 81 without the sterile-ness that is associated with the EMG. Loud as hell! It has a strong emphasis towards the high mids, cuts through great, but not a pickup you'd want for a scooped sound, ala Dimebag. It does cleans very well too, but it wants to play loud. It makes my RGT-3020 sound real powerful and mean, tough to do for guitars with trems.

The JB is awesome for metal, and about 90% of all music. Just a great jack-of-all-trades pickup that is at home no matter what you are playing. Especially with mahogany bodies guitars like the SZ-520, i did have an SZ-520 for a while and the Seymour Duncan JB made it sound real angry.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

+1 for the 500T, an excellent pickup for metal. BTW, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I noticed that the X2N seems to be a popular metal pickup as well. Do you guys think it would be a good match for my Peavey Wolfgang?

• Members

Currently using a Bareknuckle Mule. Very tight focus, good response. The BKP Nailbomb is about the same output but looser with more harmonics. My next guitar will be BKP Warpig loaded, and they output almost as much as the EMG 81.

Lundgren M6 (M7 for 7 strings) has a good rep. So does the Bill Lawrence mentioned above (Dime actually used BL pickups not the SDs as far as I'm aware).

I like the SD JB in a heavier mahogany guitar. I also use SD's Screamin' Demon - lower output then the JB but smoother - and the DiMarzio ToneZone that's more spikey.

Archived