G&L ASAT Bridge Question.

paul44

• Members

Here's a pic of the bridge on my ASAT Classic....

glbridge.jpg

Notice how each string,when it comes up through the body,is in contact with the adjustment screw before it passes over the saddle? Can this be a 'good thing',bearing in mind the care you take to make sure the strings don't touch the back of the bridge on an LP for example?

• Members

its kind of wierd with g&l, ive seen this and a few other problems many times - there's no excuse for it - its just plain 'wrong' ... but who the hell am i to say george and leo got it 'wrong!'

all i know is my asat classic is about the best guitar i've ever played, and i must have played several thousand.

no real fix for this, without replacing parts. do you notice a problem with the guitar going out of tune much after bending strings etc no matter how much you stretch em in?

• Members

My only problem is purely subjective.I hear a certain 'dullness' and lack of clarity and sustain.Never had any tuning or stability issues.I might slap on a replacement bridge just to see if it makes any difference.

• Members

Considering G&L's regular saddle-lock bridge on their ASAT Customs is such a wonderful piece of engineering, there really isn't an excuse for that. I've always wondered why they went that route on the Classics. You would think they could have come up with something a little more elegant.

In the end, I don't think it really matters to the sound and playability of the instrument, but it could have been done better.

edit:

Switch it out for a Callaham bridge!

:D

Agreed. Callaham makes excellent hardware.

• Members

Here's a pic of the bridge on my ASAT Classic....

glbridge.jpg

Notice how each string,when it comes up through the body,is in contact with the adjustment screw before it passes over the saddle? Can this be a 'good thing',bearing in mind the care you take to make sure the strings don't touch the back of the bridge on an LP for example?

Mine's exactly like that too. And I've always wondered why they have them this way. It doesn't seem to affect tone or playability though, as far as I can tell. *shrug*

G&L seems to have some interesting design choices (I've noticed a few other odd things like that on my guitar).

Archived