Volume pots

Longshanks

• Members

So im going to start building a new guitar. its got 2 humbuckers and room for 2 knobs, which are both going to be volume bcuz i dont use the tone pot often.

and i have a question: do i need capacitors for volume pots or are they just for tone pots?

Cheers.

• Members

So im going to start building a new guitar. its got 2 humbuckers and room for 2 knobs, which are both going to be volume bcuz i dont use the tone pot often.

and i have a question: do i need capacitors for volume pots or are they just for tone pots?

Cheers.

Only if you want some treble bleed cap action.

• Members
:confused:
could you explain in more simple terms?

sorry, i'm new to guitar building and all the technical jargon makes no sense to me.

You can put a capacitor or a capacitor / resistor combo on your volume knobs so that when you turn down the volumes on your guitar the sound does not get muddy or sound dull. Some folks feel their guitars need it and others do not. I like having them on there although it does change the nature of volume swellls.

• Members

I've never been a big fan of double volumes on a guitar. Seems like one more thing to mess with when playing live which IMO is bad. That being said, you don't need any capacitors or anything.

I love them on H-H guitars. My explorer for example. Havent really used them on 3 pup model axes.

• Members

:confused:
could you explain in more simple terms?

sorry, i'm new to guitar building and all the technical jargon makes no sense to me.

It's not "technical jargon." It's a phrase that describes an issue in guitar circuitry. A treble bleed network (or circuit) compensates for the fact that a reduction in volume creates a disproportionate reduction in perceived treble. What that last sentence means is that when you turn the volume down, the treble part of the signal turns down more than the other parts, more than the midrange or bass. (Or seems to, to human ears.)

This is a fact that applies to all guitars all the time. It is partly electrical in nature, partly physics, and partly has to do with the way the human body hears.

A treble bleed circuit compensates for this. The result is that turning down the volume affects all frequencies about the same amount.

Most guitars do not have a treble bleed circuit.

• Members
It's not "technical jargon." It's a phrase that describes an issue in guitar circuitry. A treble bleed network (or circuit) compensates for the fact that a reduction in volume creates a disproportionate reduction in perceived treble. What that last sentence means is that when you turn the volume down, the treble part of the signal turns down more than the other parts, more than the midrange or bass. (Or seems to, to human ears.)

This is a fact that applies to all guitars all the time. It is partly electrical in nature, partly physics, and partly has to do with the way the human body hears.

A treble bleed circuit compensates for this. The result is that turning down the volume affects all frequencies about the same amount.

Most guitars do not have a treble bleed circuit.

i see.....
thanks for clearing that up. :thu:

Archived