the actual positive outlook on filesharing

DeuceyBaby

• Members
:D

so there may be less of a public perception of "the artist is {censored}ed by the man"

with music piracy we often hear "well, none of the money is going to the artist", etc
(it was even brought up in the vid you just posted - thanks for the heads up on theat BTW) so there's kind of that Robin Hood riff.

I don't know if film has that as strongly (anecdotally, I don't think it does -- but I'm open to other interpretations)

You're right, but I think that's because 90% of the people out there view film as pure entertainment. I was raised to believe that film is more of an art and that acting is a craft, of course depending upon the movie I want to be entertained and thats it (ie Transformers lol), but then I look at guys like Daniel Day Lewis and Pacino and they're involved in a craft.

Anyway, if you believe something is pure entertainment, you don't look at the hard work, blood, sweat and tears that goes into the production of it. The millions of dollars, the countless debates and meetings that go into preproduction before one frame is even shot. Not just that, but celebrities are like superheroes and superhuman to a lot of people. On average they make significantly more than musicians per project and they're looked to as fashion and lifestyle icons. So nobody is upset about downloading a movie cause they figure the actors will net millions anyway and go right back to their lavish mansion in the hills.

• Members

You're right, but I think that's because 90% of the people out there view film as
pure
entertainment.

could definitely be part of it (I mean the two things...entertainment and robinhood effects aren't mutually exclusive - I think it's more of an AND than a BUT)

I mean hell, I know people that feel the same way about music (oh, like with film they dig that there is art in it and that there are definitely art pieces and stuff they "should" be digging on, but they personally respond to it as an amusement.)

I was raised to believe that film is more of an art and that acting is a craft,

I hear ya - I mean I'm with ya, I was raised to believe engineering is an art -- you know that broken computer tech speak of mine you don't like? yup, that included. Elegant claim construction in a patent, a beautiful piece of millwork, tight finish carpentry, while everyone else is all about wheel thrown pottery a slick piece of technical slip casting...art and craft!

• Members

I'm not sure how its a positive thing?

Having a fan say "I just downloaded your CD off Limewire" is like walking into a room and finding your girlfriend kissing another man. Somewhere inside you there might be a cheap thrill, but in your heart you know that all meaningfull parts of that relationship are over.

Archived