Gibson's routing options

keith2112

• Members

which guitars LPs mostly are getting the swill cheese routing of a few large drill holes and which ones are getting the pure routing out of the whold mahohany and having a maple cap one. ie the current standards are way too light as are some others. Are the Studios still done with just a couple holes drilled out or are they routed out completely. How are the Customs weight relieved?

• Members

which guitars LPs mostly are getting the swill cheese routing of a few large drill holes and which ones are getting the pure routing out of the whold mahohany and having a maple cap one. ie the current standards are way too light as are some others. Are the Studios still done with just a couple holes drilled out or are they routed out completely. How are the Customs weight relieved?

I believe Customs, Standards and Studios all have the weight relief holes in them, I can't remember if it is 9 or 11 holes though. The Class 5 LP is the routed out with "tone chambers", I think it is similiar to the way the 335 is done but with no f holes. Historics are non weight relieved but are ususally lighter due to the better wood used for the top grade guitars.

• Members

Non-weight relieved bodies are a selling point for Gibson. If it doesn't say it's non-relieved then it's got the swiss treatment. They also make some with tone chambers which they also advertise as having them.

• Members

Do you mean that they are calling the drilled weight relief holes "chambered"? Or Gibson now chambers it's guitars rather than drill relief holes?

That Gibson chambers the guitars rather than drill relief holes...That's what some people was saying here in a recent topic

• Members
That Gibson chambers the guitars rather than drill relief holes...That's what some people was saying here in a recent topic

I dug around about here and there and it seems that the 2007 Les Pauls have been re-vamped and now feature multiple chambers instead of the old swiss cheese job.

All I can say is :eek: WOW :eek:

Archived